Old 03-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Star Liu

Default Help! My debian sid cannot boot, "A manual fsck must be performed"

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 9:14 PM, Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I boot my debian sid 5 minutes ago, I got this error message:
> /dev/sda4: unexpected inconsistency; run fsck manually.(i.e., without
> -a or -p options)
> fsck died with exit status 4
> failed (code 4)
> An automatic file system check(fsck) of the root filesystem failed. A
> manual fsck must be performed. The fsck should be performed in
> maintance mode with the root filesystem mounted in read-only mode.
> failed!
>
> i have entered the maintance mode, but i don't know how to recover my
> filesystem. anyone can help me? thank you. this is the first time i
> encounter a serious problem with debian.

i have fixed it, just exe "fsck /dev/sda4" and press enters

Old 03-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Star Liu

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 9:47 PM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@vianet.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 01:21:55PM +0700, Steven Demetrius wrote:
>> On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 21:14 +0800, Star Liu wrote:
>> > When I boot my debian sid 5 minutes ago, I got this error message:
>> > -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > /dev/sda4: unexpected inconsistency; run fsck manually.(i.e., without
>> > -a or -p options)
>> > fsck died with exit status 4
>> > failed (code 4)
>> > An automatic file system check(fsck) of the root filesystem failed. A
>> > manual fsck must be performed. The fsck should be performed in
>> > maintance mode with the root filesystem mounted in read-only mode.
>> > failed!
>> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> >
>> > i have entered the maintance mode, but i don't know how to recover my
>> > filesystem. anyone can help me? thank you. this is the first time i
>> > encounter a serious problem with debian.
>> >

>> Sounds like you have a defective HD.
>
> Just because fsck conked out? *get real.
>
> Of course, the problem on Debian is that "maintenance mode" (i.e.
> single-user-mode) has already tried to mount all filesystems.
>
> Instead, try this:
>
> At grub's menu, edit the kernel command line so that you add:
>
> * * * *init=/bin/sh
My debian sid now break more, after I add init-/bin/sh to the kernel
boot line, and reboot, the process dead at this message line:
kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I cannot log into my system anymore, how could I resolve it? thank you.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Star Liu

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 9:47 PM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@vianet.ca> wrote:

>>> Sounds like you have a defective HD.
>>
>> Just because fsck conked out? *get real.
>>
>> Of course, the problem on Debian is that "maintenance mode" (i.e.
>> single-user-mode) has already tried to mount all filesystems.
>>
>> Instead, try this:
>>
>> At grub's menu, edit the kernel command line so that you add:
>>
>> * * * *init=/bin/sh
> My debian sid now break more, after I add init-/bin/sh to the kernel
> boot line, and reboot, the process dead at this message line:
> kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>
> I cannot log into my system anymore, how could I resolve it? thank you.
a more detail error messages:
begin: mounting root file system.... begin:running /scripts/local-top ... done.
begin: running /scripts/local-premount... done
kjournald starting. commit interval 5 seconds
ext3-fs:mount filesystem with ordered data mode.
begin:running /script/local-bottom... done
done.
begin:running /script/init-bottom...done
mount:mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: invaild argument
run-init:/sbin/init:I/O error

Old 03-11-2009, 02:23 AM
Star Liu

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Bob Cox <debian-user@lists.bobcox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 08:25:35 +0800, Star Liu (minxinjianxin@gmail.com) wrote:

>> > My debian sid now break more, after I add init-/bin/sh to the kernel
> It may just be a typo, but "init-/bin/sh" is not the same as
> "init=/bin/sh"
yes, in fact I added init=/bin/sh to the kernel command line, but it
seems the boot process haven't come here when it have died.