Old 03-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Star Liu

Default Help! My debian sid cannot boot, "A manual fsck must be performed"

When I boot my debian sid 5 minutes ago, I got this error message:
/dev/sda4: unexpected inconsistency; run fsck manually.(i.e., without
-a or -p options)
fsck died with exit status 4
failed (code 4)
An automatic file system check(fsck) of the root filesystem failed. A
manual fsck must be performed. The fsck should be performed in
maintance mode with the root filesystem mounted in read-only mode.
failed!

Old 03-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Frank Lanitz

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 20:42:52 +0700
Dave Patterson <sdpatt2@gmail.com> wrote:

> * Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> [2009-03-09 21:20:59 +0800]:
>

> > i have fixed it, just exe "fsck /dev/sda4" and press enters
>
> Sid's a mess right now...

And nothing for untrained Debian users IMHO.

Cheers,
Frank
--
Frank Lanitz <frank@frank.uvena.de>

Old 03-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Frank Lanitz

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 20:55:18 +0700
Dave Patterson <sdpatt2@gmail.com> wrote:

> * Frank Lanitz <frank@frank.uvena.de> [2009-03-09 14:50:57 +0100]:
>
> > > Sid's a mess right now...
> >
> > And nothing for untrained Debian users IMHO.
>
> Yup, happens every time a new release goes out. We try lotsa new stuff,
> and it's not quite coordinated. reportbug gets lots of exercise, and
> upstream gets spanked.

But it's cool to see all the stuff comes in and help testing the packages.

Cheers,
Frank
--
Frank Lanitz <frank@frank.uvena.de>

Old 03-10-2009, 12:47 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 01:21:55PM +0700, Steven Demetrius wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 21:14 +0800, Star Liu wrote:
> > When I boot my debian sid 5 minutes ago, I got this error message:
> > -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > /dev/sda4: unexpected inconsistency; run fsck manually.(i.e., without
> > -a or -p options)
> > fsck died with exit status 4
> > failed (code 4)
> > An automatic file system check(fsck) of the root filesystem failed. A
> > manual fsck must be performed. The fsck should be performed in
> > maintance mode with the root filesystem mounted in read-only mode.
> > failed!
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > i have entered the maintance mode, but i don't know how to recover my
> > filesystem. anyone can help me? thank you. this is the first time i
> > encounter a serious problem with debian.
> >

> Sounds like you have a defective HD.

Just because fsck conked out? get real.

Of course, the problem on Debian is that "maintenance mode" (i.e.
single-user-mode) has already tried to mount all filesystems.

Instead, try this:

At grub's menu, edit the kernel command line so that you add:

init=/bin/sh

This way, the kernel will boot, the initrd scripts will run, but insead
of normal init running (with the init scripts), you'll end up with the /
fs mounte ro and no init scripts having been run. Its like booting a
LiveCD without being able to write anything. You'll be able to run any
apps in /bin and /sbin.

You'll get a sh prompt. Run the following (assuming that your root fs
is ext2 or ext3):

/sbin/e2fsck -C 0 -f -y /dev/sda4

This will run an fsck on /dev/sda4. -C 0 gives you the progress
indicator, -f causes it to run even if it looks clean, and -y answers
"yes" to all "fix?" questions.

If you want to also check the drive for bad blocks, add:

-c -c

to the option list. This will take a long time.

You may find that e2fsck has to be run a couple of time until no errors
are reported.

When you want to exit and try rebooting, since you've dillied with the
fs, I'd:

sync

halt

Ideally, halt would sync the disks, but the man page says that it can't
unless /proc is mounted.

When the system is halted, turn the power off, wait 15 seconds and
power on.

Alternatively, if you don't want to halt and power-cycle, but want to
immediatly try booting, do:

exec init

which will terminate your sh process and run the init process.

Good luck.

Doug.