Old 03-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Ed Jabbour

Default .Xmodmap has no effect

Below is my ~/.Xmodmap. It's an attempt to make the key assignments permanent
rather than running xmodmap each login. It's not working. Syntax wrong?

keycode 162 = XF86AudioPlay
keycode 164 = XF86AudioStop
keycode 144 = XF86AudioPrev
keycode 153 = XF86AudioNext
keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
keycode 176 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute

Old 03-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Frank

On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 17:30 -0400, Ed Jabbour wrote:
> Below is my ~/.Xmodmap. It's an attempt to make the key assignments permanent
> rather than running xmodmap each login. It's not working. Syntax wrong?
>
> keycode 162 = XF86AudioPlay
> keycode 164 = XF86AudioStop
> keycode 144 = XF86AudioPrev
> keycode 153 = XF86AudioNext
> keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
> keycode 176 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
> keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute

AFAIK you have to run xmodmap each login. Try with the -verbose option to turn on logging.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Daniel Dickinson

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 17:49:55 -0400
Frank <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 17:30 -0400, Ed Jabbour wrote:
> > Below is my ~/.Xmodmap. It's an attempt to make the key
> > assignments permanent rather than running xmodmap each login.
> > It's not working. Syntax wrong?
> >
> > keycode 162 = XF86AudioPlay
> > keycode 164 = XF86AudioStop
> > keycode 144 = XF86AudioPrev
> > keycode 153 = XF86AudioNext
> > keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
> > keycode 176 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
> > keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute
> >

> AFAIK you have to run xmodmap each login. Try with the -verbose
> option to turn on logging.

Actually looking at /etc/X11/Xsession.d/foo (forget which one)

it is probably that XKB is active as well (apparently they don't
play nice together). Do you (OP) have keyboard model setup or an xkb
startup file?

Unfortunately I'm still trying to figure out how to do this without
invoking whatever monster it is that made the Xsession people prevent

And that's my crabbing done for the day. Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something. -- Michael Devore
GnuPG Key Fingerprint 86 F5 81 A5 D4 2E 1F 1C http://gnupg.org