Old 03-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Bernd Kloss

Default mounting DVD's

Lenny
Kaffeine
KDE 3.5.10
member in groups cdrom, plugdev and powerdev

Hello,

*I am recording TV-broadcastings with a conventional DVD-recorder and I want
to edit the VOB-files.
I have problems copying the files from DVD to PC.

On my computer the DVD-drive is on /dev/hdb, from where the automounter is
starting correctly and I can play the VOB's with Kaffeine/Xine.

Trying to open the DVD on automounter's start within a new window, Konqueror
tries to open from: system:/media/hdb , but produces an error:
access denied on /media/cdrom0

How can I mount those DVDs without being root and within KDE?

Thanks and regards
Bernd

Old 03-09-2009, 01:31 AM
Steven Demetrius

Bernd Kloss wrote:

Lenny
Kaffeine
KDE 3.5.10
member in groups cdrom, plugdev and powerdev

Hello,

I am recording TV-broadcastings with a conventional DVD-recorder and I want
to edit the VOB-files.

I have problems copying the files from DVD to PC.

On my computer the DVD-drive is on /dev/hdb, from where the automounter is
starting correctly and I can play the VOB's with Kaffeine/Xine.

Trying to open the DVD on automounter's start within a new window, Konqueror
tries to open from: system:/media/hdb , but produces an error:
access denied on /media/cdrom0

How can I mount those DVDs without being root and within KDE?

Thanks and regards
Bernd

Bernd:

Check if the user you want to access the cdrom is in the cdrom group.
You can do this by grep-ing the group file.

$ grep -i cdrom /etc/group

It should return something like this

cdrom:x:24:nancy,jbrown

If your user is not listed then you need to add the user to the cdrom
group. This as to be done with the root user account.

# adduser username cdrom

Thank you
Steven