Old 03-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Nima Azarbayjany

Default mkfs.vfat missing

Hi all,

When I tried to make a FAT file system on a USB storage it turned out that mkfs.vfat is not on my system.* I also tried to use GParted but it did not have support for FAT file system either.* How can I restore the file system support?* I do not remember clearly if I have used my new installation of Lenny to make a FAT file system or not.* I think I did.* So I am wondering how did it evaporate from my system if it was present.

Thanks.

Nima

Old 03-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Teemu Likonen

On 2009-03-08 20:18 (+0330), Nima Azarbayjany wrote:

> When I tried to make a FAT file system on a USB storage it turned out
> that mkfs.vfat is not on my system. I also tried to use GParted but it
> did not have support for FAT file system either. How can I restore the
> file system support?

Install the dosfstools package.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Frank Lanitz

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 20:18:58 +0330
Nima Azarbayjany <my.informal.conversations@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I tried to make a FAT file system on a USB storage it turned out
> that mkfs.vfat is not on my system. I also tried to use GParted but
> it did not have support for FAT file system either. How can I
> restore the file system support? I do not remember clearly if I have
> used my new installation of Lenny to make a FAT file system or not.
> I think I did. So I am wondering how did it evaporate from my system
> if it was present.

Do you have dosfstools installed?

Cheers,
Frank