Old 03-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Csanyi Pal

Default .Xmodmap and gdm

Hi,

I use GNOME and gdm.

I try to use ~/.Xmodmap to load my settings for the XKeyboard.

In the file:
/etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default

I have this line:

/usr/bin/xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap

but this has no effect.

How can I use .Xmodmap with gdm to change my XKeyboard?

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi

Old 03-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 09:44:16AM +0100, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use GNOME and gdm.
>
> I try to use ~/.Xmodmap to load my settings for the XKeyboard.
>
> In the file:
> /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default
>
> I have this line:
>
> /usr/bin/xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap
>
> but this has no effect.
>
> How can I use .Xmodmap with gdm to change my XKeyboard?

Doesn't this get overriden by the gnome keyboard applet running an
explicit setxkbmap?

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 03-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Csanyi Pal

Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 09:44:16AM +0100, Csanyi Pal wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I use GNOME and gdm.
>>
>> I try to use ~/.Xmodmap to load my settings for the XKeyboard.
>>
>> In the file:
>> /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default
>>
>> I have this line:
>>
>> /usr/bin/xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap
>>
>> but this has no effect.
>>
>> How can I use .Xmodmap with gdm to change my XKeyboard?
>
> Doesn't this get overriden by the gnome keyboard applet running an
> explicit setxkbmap?

So, it's impossyble to one use it's own Xmodmap in GNOME?

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi

Old 03-23-2009, 04:39 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Sun,08.Mar.09, 20:31:32, Csanyi Pal wrote:

> >> How can I use .Xmodmap with gdm to change my XKeyboard?
> >
> > Doesn't this get overriden by the gnome keyboard applet running an
> > explicit setxkbmap?
>
> So, it's impossyble to one use it's own Xmodmap in GNOME?

If you run 'xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap' in a terminal do you get the expected
result?

(my .Xmodmap works fine with gdm, but I use Xfce, not Gnome)

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)