Old 03-08-2009, 03:29 AM
Girish Kulkarni

Default disabling GDM beep?

Hi,

I use Lenny on my Dell Inspiron 640m laptop. The beep that GDM throws
with the login screen has been a source of embarrasment in classrooms
many times. How do I disable it?

Thanks,
Girish.

--
Girish Kulkarni - Allahabad, India - http://girish.50webs.com

Old 03-08-2009, 04:02 AM
Daryl Styrk

Girish Kulkarni wrote:

Hi,

I use Lenny on my Dell Inspiron 640m laptop. The beep that GDM throws
with the login screen has been a source of embarrasment in classrooms
many times. How do I disable it?

Thanks,
Girish.

Have a look in System>Preferences>Sound

Old 03-08-2009, 04:06 AM
Girish Kulkarni

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Daryl Styrk wrote:
>> I use Lenny on my Dell Inspiron 640m laptop. The beep that GDM
>> throws with the login screen has been a source of embarrasment in
>> classrooms many times. How do I disable it?
>
> Have a look in System>Preferences>Sound

Doesn't help. I disabled the system beep there (also switched off
all other sounds) but GDM still beeps.

Girish.

--
Girish Kulkarni - Allahabad, India - http://girish.50webs.com

Old 03-08-2009, 04:11 AM
Daryl Styrk

Girish Kulkarni wrote:

I use Lenny on my Dell Inspiron 640m laptop. The beep that GDM
throws with the login screen has been a source of embarrasment in
classrooms many times. How do I disable it?

Have a look in System>Preferences>Sound

Doesn't help. I disabled the system beep there (also switched off
all other sounds) but GDM still beeps.

Girish.

Humm.. maybe adding SoundOnLogin=false to your gdm.conf ?

http://tinyurl.com/b5m2dt

Old 03-08-2009, 04:19 AM
Steven Demetrius

Girish Kulkarni wrote:

Hi,

I use Lenny on my Dell Inspiron 640m laptop. The beep that GDM throws
with the login screen has been a source of embarrasment in classrooms
many times. How do I disable it?

Thanks,
Girish.

Simple ways to solve this:

1. Before you shutdown the desktop mute the sound using the mixer app.

2. If your laptop has physical sound controls on it, before GDM starts
press he mute button or set the volume to minimum.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:59 AM
Chris Burkhardt

Daryl Styrk wrote:
> Girish Kulkarni wrote:
>>> Have a look in System>Preferences>Sound
>>
>> Doesn't help. I disabled the system beep there (also switched off
>> all other sounds) but GDM still beeps.
>>
>> Girish.
>>

> Humm.. maybe adding SoundOnLogin=false to your gdm.conf ?

Yes, I think that should do it. For a GUI way, run (as root) gdmsetup and see
the "Accessibility" tab for sound options.

- Chris

Old 03-08-2009, 06:29 AM
Girish Kulkarni

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Chris Burkhardt wrote:
> Yes, I think that should do it. For a GUI way, run (as root)
> gdmsetup and see the "Accessibility" tab for sound options.

Thanks Chris, gdmsetup did it.

Girish.

--
Girish Kulkarni - Allahabad, India - http://girish.50webs.com

Old 03-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Pal Trendweaver

Op zondag 08-03-2009 om 09:59 uur [tijdzone +0530], schreef Girish
Kulkarni:
> Hi,
>
> I use Lenny on my Dell Inspiron 640m laptop. The beep that GDM throws
> with the login screen has been a source of embarrasment in classrooms
> many times. How do I disable it?
>
> Thanks,
> Girish.
>

> --
> Girish Kulkarni - Allahabad, India - http://girish.50webs.com

Try disabling the sound in system/administration/login window/ on the
tab Accessibility

Greets,
Peter