FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-08-2009, 02:51 AM
"A. F. Cano"
 
Default Unison not syncing files under ~/.kde

Hi,

I've been using unison to keep home directories syncronized for quite a
while now, but this little bit is starting to aggravate me. It appears
that, unless I'm missing something in the configuration below, files
under a .directory are ignored. Note that at the bottom there is a
blanket "ignore = Name .*" to leave alone most .files which are system
specific, but certain ones I want to propagate, thus the ignorenot
lines.

The relevant bits on the ~/.unison/default.prf file are:

ignorenot = Path afc/.procmailrc
ignorenot = Path afc/.fetchmailrc
ignorenot = Path afc/.signature
ignorenot = Path afc/.mutt
ignorenot = Path afc/.profile
ignorenot = Path afc/.bashrc
ignorenot = Path afc/.vimrc

All these get propagated just fine

ignorenot = Path afc/.kde/share/apps/kpilot #this is a directory
ignorenot = Path afc/.kde/share/apps/karm/karm.ics #individual file
ignorenot = Path afc/.wine/user_files

But these do not propagate.

ignore = Path afc/Desktop
ignore = Name .*
ignore = Name *.o

Has anyone else encountered this? Is it a quirk of the configuration
file? or should I file a bug report?

A.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 03-08-2009, 03:23 AM
Girish Kulkarni
 
Default Unison not syncing files under ~/.kde

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 9:21 AM, A. F. Cano wrote:
> ignorenot = Path afc/.kde/share/apps/kpilot #this is a directory
> ignorenot = Path afc/.kde/share/apps/karm/karm.ics #individual file
> ignorenot = Path afc/.wine/user_files
>
> But these do not propagate.
>
> ignore = Path afc/Desktop
> ignore = Name .*
> ignore = Name *.o

Which Unison version are you using? The Unison manual has the
following to say about ignorenot:

"Note that the semantics of ignore and ignorenot is a little
counter-intuitive. When detecting updates, Unison examines paths
in depth-first order, starting from the roots of the replicas and
working downwards. Before examining each path, it checks whether
it matches ignore and does not match ignorenot; in this case it
skips this path and all its descendants. This means that, if some
parent of a given path matches an ignore pattern, then it will be
skipped even if the path itself matches an ignorenot pattern. In
particular, putting ignore = Path * in your profile and then using
t ignorenot to select particular paths to be synchronized will not
work. Instead, you should use the path preference to choose
particular paths to synchronize."

See --

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/download/releases/stable/unison-manual.html#prefs

In your case apparently .kde is ignored because its path matches an
ignore criterion. Then it doesn't matter even if some descendent of
.kde matches a ignorenot criterion.

A solution is to edit your ignore patterns to keep .kde safe. (Use
regexp maybe?)

HTH,
Girish.


--
Girish Kulkarni - Allahabad, India - http://girish.50webs.com


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 03-11-2009, 12:53 AM
"A. F. Cano"
 
Default Unison not syncing files under ~/.kde

On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 09:53:35AM +0530, Girish Kulkarni wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 9:21 AM, A. F. Cano wrote:
> > ignorenot = Path afc/.kde/share/apps/kpilot #this is a directory
> > ignorenot = Path afc/.kde/share/apps/karm/karm.ics #individual file
> > ignorenot = Path afc/.wine/user_files
> >
> > But these do not propagate.
> >
> > ignore = Path afc/Desktop
> > ignore = Name .*
> > ignore = Name *.o
>
> Which Unison version are you using? The Unison manual has the
> following to say about ignorenot:

Ah yes, forgot to be complete:
unison version 2.27.57

> "Note that the semantics of ignore and ignorenot is a little
> counter-intuitive. When detecting updates, Unison examines paths
> in depth-first order, starting from the roots of the replicas and
> working downwards. Before examining each path, it checks whether
> it matches ignore and does not match ignorenot; in this case it
> skips this path and all its descendants. This means that, if some
> parent of a given path matches an ignore pattern, then it will be
> skipped even if the path itself matches an ignorenot pattern. In
> particular, putting ignore = Path * in your profile and then using
> t ignorenot to select particular paths to be synchronized will not
> work. Instead, you should use the path preference to choose
> particular paths to synchronize."

Well, I understand what this says, but it's a problem. Of course, I
want to synchronize my home directory, all the regular (not .files)
files and sub-directories. This can be dynamic, so it's not reasonable
to have to add every new subdirectory to the unison file via a separate
path.

On the other hand, with the few exceptions noted, I don't want .config
files to be propagated as they reflect settings that might be different
and change on different computers.

> See --
>
> http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/download/releases/stable/unison-manual.html#prefs
>
> In your case apparently .kde is ignored because its path matches an
> ignore criterion. Then it doesn't matter even if some descendent of
> .kde matches a ignorenot criterion.

Yes, I've tried to add:

ignorenot = Path afc/.kde

with the predictable result that now all the files and directories under
.kde are fair game. As those include desktop settings that change or
are different on different computers, lots of conflicts.

> A solution is to edit your ignore patterns to keep .kde safe. (Use
> regexp maybe?)

I don't see how I can still not sync all .files, regardless of where
they are and be able to explicitely tell unison about specific files
under a .directory. Am I missing something? or is this a severe
limitation worthy of a bug report?

I have also tried to make symbolic links to bypass the ".kde" in the
path.

ln -s /home/afc/.kde/share/apps/karm /home/afc/karm

After adding "follow afc/karm" the files are copied, but this feels like
a kludgy work-around. Still, it's better than the original behavior.

> HTH,
> Girish.

Thanks for answering.

A.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 03-11-2009, 01:54 AM
Cameron Hutchison
 
Default Unison not syncing files under ~/.kde

"A. F. Cano" <afc@shibaya.lonestar.org> writes:

>Hi,

>I've been using unison to keep home directories syncronized for quite a
>while now, but this little bit is starting to aggravate me. It appears
>that, unless I'm missing something in the configuration below, files
>under a .directory are ignored. Note that at the bottom there is a
>blanket "ignore = Name .*" to leave alone most .files which are system
>specific, but certain ones I want to propagate, thus the ignorenot
>lines.

>The relevant bits on the ~/.unison/default.prf file are:

> ignorenot = Path afc/.procmailrc
> ignorenot = Path afc/.fetchmailrc
> ignorenot = Path afc/.signature
> ignorenot = Path afc/.mutt
> ignorenot = Path afc/.profile
> ignorenot = Path afc/.bashrc
> ignorenot = Path afc/.vimrc

>All these get propagated just fine

> ignorenot = Path afc/.kde/share/apps/kpilot #this is a directory
> ignorenot = Path afc/.kde/share/apps/karm/karm.ics #individual file
> ignorenot = Path afc/.wine/user_files

>But these do not propagate.

> ignore = Path afc/Desktop
> ignore = Name .*
> ignore = Name *.o

ignore = Name .*
ignorenot = Path afc/.kde
ignore = Path afc/.kde/*
ignorenot = Path afc/.kde/share
ignore = Path afc/.kde/share/*
ignorenot = Path afc/.kde/share/apps
ignore = Path afc/.kde/share/apps/*
ignorenot = Path afc/.kde/share/apps/kpilot
ignorenot = Path afc/.kde/share/apps/karm
ignore = Path afc/.kde/share/apps/karm/*
ignorenot = Path afc/.kde/share/apps/karm/karm.isc
ignorenot = Path afc/.wine
ignore = Path afc/.wine/*
ignorenot = Path afc/.wine/user_files

Its annoying, but I think its the only way to work around this.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:19 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org