Old 03-08-2009, 01:03 AM
Jimmy Johnson

Default Window Borders, Title Bars, etc. Missing in Lenny w/ KDE

Hal Vaughan wrote:
I installed Lenny on one system, then did "apt-get install kdebase kdm"
and everything went fine.

I had to take that system down (it was more for testing anyway) and just
set up a new one and did the same thing, but now, in KDE, all the window
borders, sliders, title bars, and such are missing.

Do I need to install another package (I also installed kdecore on this
one)? what happened that this is a problem only on one system but
wasn't on the first one?

Thanks for any help on this!

Sounds to me you are missing the package "kwin" the KDE window manager.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Bakersfield, CA. U.S.A.
Registered Linux User #380263
K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid)

Old 03-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Hal Vaughan

I installed Lenny on one system, then did "apt-get install kdebase
kdm" and everything went fine.
I had to take that system down (it was more for testing anyway) and
just set up a new one and did the same thing, but now, in KDE, all
the window borders, sliders, title bars, and such are missing.
Do I need to install another package (I also installed kdecore on
this one)? what happened that this is a problem only on one system
but wasn't on the first one?

Thanks for any help on this!

Sounds to me you are missing the package "kwin" the KDE window
manager.

That's what I thought, but it's there and reconfiguring it didn't help.

Since it's a new system I stopped and realized if I re-installed, I
could do that while doing other work, so the total time on that would
be less spent than if I kept trying to track it down, so I just wiped
the disk and reinstalled and it worked.

Hal

Old 03-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Jimmy Johnson

Hal Vaughan wrote:

Sounds to me you are missing the package "kwin" the KDE window manager.

That's what I thought, but it's there and reconfiguring it didn't help.

Since it's a new system I stopped and realized if I re-installed, I
could do that while doing other work, so the total time on that would be
less spent than if I kept trying to track it down, so I just wiped the
disk and reinstalled and it worked.

I know it's to late to run it now but I'm wondering if you tried to run
"kpersonalizer" and/or the kde theme manager?

Old 03-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Hal Vaughan

Sounds to me you are missing the package "kwin" the KDE window
manager.

That's what I thought, but it's there and reconfiguring it didn't
help.

Since it's a new system I stopped and realized if I re-installed, I
could do that while doing other work, so the total time on that
would be less spent than if I kept trying to track it down, so I
just wiped the disk and reinstalled and it worked.

I know it's to late to run it now but I'm wondering if you tried to
run "kpersonalizer" and/or the kde theme manager?

Yes, I tried it. I figured if I set a new theme or new window
decorations in KControl, that it might trigger a setting that got
messed up.

I think I can count on one hand the number of times installing any
package on Debian has gone bad, but this seems to be one of them. For
some reason, it just didn't work and even dpkg-reconfigure didn't help.

Hal