Old 03-08-2009, 12:48 AM
Kelly Clowers

Default Mozilla suite missing from Debian 5

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 15:57, Bret Busby <bret@busby.net> wrote:

> Well, after having been advised on the list, to upgrade to Debian 5, from
> Debian 4, I have done it, on my laptop, to trial Debian 5.
>
> It appears that it is against my better judgement.
>
> The Mozilla suite, whether you want to name it seamonkey or iceape, or
> whatever, has apparently been removed from Debian, the last version where it
> as present, being Debian 4.

Speaking as a Mozilla user, 1.x kind of sucks anyway. Use the
latest alpha of 2.0 or a nightly and I think you will be pleasantly
surprised.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 03-08-2009, 01:03 AM
Mark Allums

Bret Busby wrote:
> The Mozilla suite, whether you want to name it seamonkey or iceape, or
whatever, has apparently been removed from Debian, the last version
where it as present, being Debian 4.

It is kind of like driving a car without a windscreen; it runs, but it
is not nice.

Install Iceweasel and Icedove, and so on. Iceape is still in Debian,
but right now it is in "Sid". You can still install it, if you like.
Add Sid to your /etc/apt/sources.list. Or add "Squeeze" (the codename
for the future successor to 5.0) to sources.list, and wait a while, and
eventually Iceape will appear there.

prehistoric == "Sarge" (Old Oldstable)
Debian 4.0 == "Etch" (Oldstable)
Debian 5.0 == "Lenny" (Stable)
Testing == "Squeeze"
Unstable == "Sid"
Experimental == "Experimental"

Things tend to enter at Sid, and "float up" to Stable.

So, patience, or install some alternatives. Iceweasel 3.0.x is better
that the Mozilla Suite for a web brower, in my opinion. You might find
a better calendar app, too. Try Evolution. Or Iceowl. Icedove is
Thunderbird. If you install Iceowl, also install iceowl-extention,
which lets you use the Iceowl with IceDove. Bluefish is a good HTML editor.

Mark Allums

Old 03-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Lisi Reisz

On Saturday 07 March 2009 23:57:42 Bret Busby wrote:
> Well, after having been advised on the list, to upgrade to Debian 5,
> from Debian 4

Having no memory of anyone's having advised you to upgrade to Lenny, I have
just reread the entire lengthy previous thread. I could not find a single
person advising you to upgrade. In fact at least two of us explicitly
advised you *not* to upgrade, if you were uncomfortable with doing it.

One person did indeed say that the support you would have on this list would
dwindle and did seem to suggest that it would be better to upgrade, but he
did not explicitly say so. And he was correct in his statement that fewer
and fewer other people would be using Etch. That is merely a statement of
fact. And one could reasonably infer that he himself, were he in your
situation, would upgrade. But he certainly didn't actually advise you to do
it.

All any of us were trying to do was to apprise you of the actual situation,
since your decisions seemed to be based on false premises.

Perhaps part of your difficulty here is that you do read carefully the advice
you are given.

Lisi

Old 03-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Lisi Reisz

On Sunday 08 March 2009 13:39:16 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> Perhaps part of your difficulty here is that you do read carefully the
> advice you are given. ^^^^^^

do NOT read carefully

Ouch!

Lisi

Old 03-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Thorny

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 08:57:42 +0900, Bret Busby wrote:

> Well, after having been advised on the list, to upgrade to Debian 5,
> from Debian 4, I have done it, on my laptop, to trial Debian 5.

As Lisi pointed out, I too didn't find an overwhelming number of
suggestions to do as you have chosen. We were trying to correct your
misintrepretations.

> It appears that it is against my better judgement.

A piece of advice, do not do things against your better judgement. If you
follow advice that breaks your system you get to keep the broken pieces.
It is always a good idea to understand what advice is going to do by
reading and understanding any documentation that you can find about it
previous to entering commands. That being said, the upgrade 4.0-->5.0,
from oldstable to stable, shouldn't be any kind of disaster.

BTW, the system I'm typing this on is still running Etch and probably will
for a while yet, Etch is still getting security upgrades and I don't
require any new features or have any hardware that requires a newer
kernel.

> The Mozilla suite, whether you want to name it seamonkey or iceape, or
> whatever, has apparently been removed from Debian, the last version
> where it as present, being Debian 4.
>
> It is kind of like driving a car without a windscreen; it runs, but it
> is not nice.

And there are good reasons of principle that this happened. You may not
agree with the principle or the Debian Social Contract or philosophy but
you could investigate the reasoning and logic of the decision and thus
understand it. In my opinion, it's useless to argue it here.

> Also, at the recommeded mirror, .au.debian.org flightgear (one of the
> reasons for the upgrade) is not present. So, I assume that that mirror
> is not complete.

Well, I find this page on the Internet:
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/flightgear

And, if you mean ftp://ftp.au.debian.org

then I find the package there.
ftp://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/pool/main/f/flightgear

If it isn't in the mirror you use, there would be other mirrors