Old 03-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Mark Copper

Default etch -> lenny, update-initramfs interrupts dpkg

Hi,

Updating from etch to lenny following release notes.

"aptitude upgrade" ends with

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18
/usr/sbin/mkinitramfs: line 164: mktemp: command not found
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18
dpkg: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
to correct the problem.

but running dpkg --configure -a results in the sam error.

Besides it's strange that mktem should not be installed already, but

aptitude show mktemp

says, no, it's not installed. But if I do try to install it:

deneb:~# apt-get install mktemp
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
to correct the problem.

So it seems I'm stuck in a vicious circle.

Can this circle be broken?

Mark

Old 03-07-2009, 01:57 AM
Graham

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 17:30:47 -0600
Mark Copper <mlcopper@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Updating from etch to lenny following release notes.
>
> "aptitude upgrade" ends with
>
> Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18
> /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs: line 164: mktemp: command not found
> update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18
> dpkg: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
> to correct the problem.
>
> but running dpkg --configure -a results in the sam error.
>
> Besides it's strange that mktem should not be installed already, but
>
> aptitude show mktemp
>
> says, no, it's not installed. But if I do try to install it:
>
> deneb:~# apt-get install mktemp
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
> to correct the problem.
>
> So it seems I'm stuck in a vicious circle.
>
> Can this circle be broken?

Found this solution at Debian User Forums:

apt-get install mktemp

The thread is here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=35866

Hope that helps.

Graham

Old 03-07-2009, 02:02 AM
Graham

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 02:57:48 +0000
Graham <doubleyou@loftmail.com> wrote:

> > aptitude show mktemp
> >
> > says, no, it's not installed. But if I do try to install it:
> >
> > deneb:~# apt-get install mktemp
> > E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
> > to correct the problem.
> >
> > So it seems I'm stuck in a vicious circle.
> >
> > Can this circle be broken?
>
> Found this solution at Debian User Forums:
>
> apt-get install mktemp
>
> The thread is here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=35866
>
> Hope that helps.
>

> Graham

Actually, this shows why I should properly read the post before
replying. Sorry, it seems you've already done what I said. Please
ignore me while I go and lock myself in the cupboard.

Graham

Old 03-07-2009, 02:13 AM
Osamu Aoki

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 05:30:47PM -0600, Mark Copper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Updating from etch to lenny following release notes.
>
> "aptitude upgrade" ends with
>
> Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18
> /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs: line 164: mktemp: command not found
> update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18
> dpkg: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
> to correct the problem.
>
> but running dpkg --configure -a results in the sam error.
>
> Besides it's strange that mktem should not be installed already, but
>
> aptitude show mktemp
>
> says, no, it's not installed. But if I do try to install it:
>
> deneb:~# apt-get install mktemp
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
> to correct the problem.
>
> So it seems I'm stuck in a vicious circle.

Did you try downloading mktemp package with wget/curl or "apt-get -d
..." and use dpkg to install with some -f options in man pages?

> Can this circle be broken?

Unless you did something funny, this is bug worth reporting.

Osamu

Old 03-08-2009, 03:18 AM
Mark Copper

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 9:13 PM, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 05:30:47PM -0600, Mark Copper wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Updating from etch to lenny following release notes.
>>
>> "aptitude upgrade" ends with
>>
>> Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
>> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18
>> /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs: line 164: mktemp: command not found
>> update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18
>> dpkg: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
>> to correct the problem.
>>
>> but running dpkg --configure -a results in the sam error.
>>
>> Besides it's strange that mktem should not be installed already, but
>>
>> aptitude show mktemp
>>
>> says, no, it's not installed. But if I do try to install it:
>>
>> deneb:~# apt-get install mktemp
>> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
>> to correct the problem.
>>
>> So it seems I'm stuck in a vicious circle.
>
> Did you try downloading mktemp package with wget/curl or "apt-get -d
> ..." and use dpkg to install with some -f options in man pages?

No I didn't, but I would have if the thought had occurred to me. What
made you think of it? I don't know how to get the deb manually, but
I managed to compile from source. And then 'dpkg -i' worked without
any coaxing. And then 'dpkg --configure -a' ran without complaint (OK
it choked on vim).

Thank you.

>> Can this circle be broken?
>
> Unless you did something funny, this is bug worth reporting.

I almost surely did. But it bothers me the mktemp pkg would vanish...