Old 03-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Wendell Cochran

Default top-posting

> Date: Fri Mar *6 11:06:29 2009
> From: Joe McDonagh
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

>> Hey Steve, I love that just by typing up here above e-mails I can
>> make smug users like you go postal. I feel powerful.

Top-posting inconveniences almost everyone -- not only Steve Lamb.

Wendell Cochran
West Seattle

Old 03-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Terence

>> Date: Fri Mar *6 11:06:29 2009
>> From: Joe McDonagh
>> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>
>>> Hey Steve, I love that just by typing up here above e-mails I can
>>> make smug users like you go postal. I feel powerful.

If being the sort of irritating sad little tit you apparently are
makes you feel powerful, go for it.

As Wendall said "Top-posting inconveniences almost everyone" but you
obviously have nothing else in your life to offer the same sort of
high.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Paul E Condon

On 2009-03-07_00:39:18, Terence wrote:
> >> Date: Fri Mar ?6 11:06:29 2009
> >> From: Joe McDonagh
> >> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

> If being the sort of irritating sad little tit you apparently are
> makes you feel powerful, go for it.
>
> As Wendall said "Top-posting inconveniences almost everyone" but you
> obviously have nothing else in your life to offer the same sort of
> high.

There is a big world out there beyond the confines of the Debian
lists. There is a lot of top posting out there. It must be easy for
twits to come to believe that top posting is always, and everywhere,
OK. And that people who object are fair game for intimidation. and
ridicule, but --- here on Debian lists is a special place. Here is a
place for people who are above the common herd. And. no, this is not
sarcasm.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 03-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Glenn English

And it's next to impossible not to with the lame email client on this
iTouch...

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com

On Mar 6, 2009, at 6:01 PM, Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net>

Old 03-07-2009, 12:48 AM
Paul E Condon

Top posting in response to a top post is etiquette. Gloating over the
fact that fellow human being is put-off by your behavior is not. Top
posting because your email software is incapable of doing otherwise is
somewhat like being a child with 'special needs'. The rest of us
should be grown up enough to accept you as you are.

Personally, I would like not to impose on the good nature of others,
except of course to avoid embarrassing a person with 'special needs.'

One absolute rule of modern etiquette, as I understand it, is that one
NEVER enquire as to whether one's interlocutor is a person with
'special needs'.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 03-07-2009, 01:43 AM
ghe

Old 03-07-2009, 06:18 AM
Daryl Styrk

I myself don't care for top posting. It just tosses a wrench in a
nicely flowing thread. I have started playing around with mutt the last
week or so, and I now appreciate how netiquette has come to be.
Specifically to mailing lists. Top posting, HTML, 2-3 pages of quoted
text to see "Thanks that did it" etc.

Not trying to viral market mutt or any other MUA, but give a shell
client a try and very quickly the entire idea standardized etiquette
becomes apparent.

--
Daryl Styrk
Naples, FL USA