Old 03-06-2009, 08:10 AM
Star Liu

Default how to setup ftp server on debian sid?

i cannot install proftpd on sid, and wzdftpd doesn't work correctly.
does anyone has experience in setting up a ftp server on debian sid? I
need the function of uploading files and folders. thanks

Old 03-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Marcin Kłapkowski

Dnia 2009-03-06, o godz. 17:10:22
Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> i cannot install proftpd on sid, and wzdftpd doesn't work correctly.
> does anyone has experience in setting up a ftp server on debian sid? I
> need the function of uploading files and folders. thanks

proftpd is 1.3.1, and have no new upgrade for version 1.3.2
and proftpd depends on
proftpd-basic 1.3.1
proftpd-mod-ldap 1.3.1
proftpd-mod-mysql 1.3.1
proftpd-modpgsql 1.3.1

and proftpd is in conflict with
proftpd-basic 1.3.2

but in repo there are new versions of packages but not proftpd package
proftpd-basic is 1.3.2 in repo
proftpd-mod-ldap is 1.3.2 in repo
proftpd-mod-mysql is 1.3.2 in repo
proftpd-modpgsql is 1.3.2 in repo

you cannot upgrade proftpd to 1.3.2 now.
trying to upgrade proftpd-basic from 1.3.1 to 1.3.2 affect removing
proftpd because of dependencies.
this same is if you try to install proftpd, because of lack of
dependencies it cannot be done.

You can install proftpd only if you install make downgrade these
other packages to 1.3.1. Or just install 1.3.1 version.

Marcin Kłapkowski

Old 03-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Deng Xiyue

Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> writes:

> i cannot install proftpd on sid, and wzdftpd doesn't work correctly.
> does anyone has experience in setting up a ftp server on debian sid? I
> need the function of uploading files and folders. thanks

Vsftpd works fine. Check /usr/share/doc/vsftpd/* for docs after
installing.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Javier Payno Pallars

On Friday 06 March 2009 10:34:29 Deng Xiyue wrote:
> Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> writes:
> > i cannot install proftpd on sid, and wzdftpd doesn't work correctly.
> > does anyone has experience in setting up a ftp server on debian sid? I
> > need the function of uploading files and folders. thanks
>
> Vsftpd works fine. Check /usr/share/doc/vsftpd/* for docs after
> installing.

If u need the ftp server just for a couple of transfer and then ur gonna shut
it off pure-ftp is easy to configure, just install it and, as Deng notice
you, have a look in /usr/share/doc/pure-ftp/ readme Debian for config

Old 03-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Star Liu

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Marcin Kłapkowski <mklapkowski@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dnia 2009-03-06, o godz. 17:10:22
> Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> napisał(a):
>
>> i cannot install proftpd on sid, and wzdftpd doesn't work correctly.
>> does anyone has experience in setting up a ftp server on debian sid? I
>> need the function of uploading files and folders. thanks
>>

> proftpd is 1.3.1, and have no new upgrade for version 1.3.2
> and proftpd depends on
> * * * *proftpd-basic * * * * * 1.3.1
> * * * *proftpd-mod-ldap * * * *1.3.1
> * * * *proftpd-mod-mysql * * * 1.3.1
> * * * *proftpd-modpgsql * * * *1.3.1
>
> and proftpd is in conflict with
> * * * *proftpd-basic * * * * * 1.3.2
>
> but in repo there are new versions of packages but not proftpd package
> * * * *proftpd-basic * * * * * is 1.3.2 in repo
> * * * *proftpd-mod-ldap * * * *is 1.3.2 in repo
> * * * *proftpd-mod-mysql * * * is 1.3.2 in repo
> * * * *proftpd-modpgsql * * * *is 1.3.2 in repo
>
> you cannot upgrade proftpd to 1.3.2 now.
> trying to upgrade proftpd-basic from 1.3.1 to 1.3.2 affect removing
> proftpd because of dependencies.
> this same is if you try to install proftpd, because of lack of
> dependencies it cannot be done.
>
> You can install proftpd only if you install make downgrade these
> other packages to 1.3.1. Or just install 1.3.1 version.
I hope someone will fix this bug in sid. thank you!

Old 03-07-2009, 12:02 AM
Star Liu

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Deng Xiyue
<manphiz-guest@users.alioth.debian.org> wrote:
> Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> i cannot install proftpd on sid, and wzdftpd doesn't work correctly.
>> does anyone has experience in setting up a ftp server on debian sid? I
>> need the function of uploading files and folders. thanks
>
> Vsftpd works fine. *Check /usr/share/doc/vsftpd/* for docs after
> installing.
thank you, I have successfully setup the ftp server using vsftpd. it's
good for it uses the native filesystem permissions.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Star Liu

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 8:32 PM, Javier Payno Pallars
<kilwacero@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 06 March 2009 10:34:29 Deng Xiyue wrote:
>> Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> writes:
>> > i cannot install proftpd on sid, and wzdftpd doesn't work correctly.
>> > does anyone has experience in setting up a ftp server on debian sid? I
>> > need the function of uploading files and folders. thanks
>>
>> Vsftpd works fine. *Check /usr/share/doc/vsftpd/* for docs after
>> installing.
>
> If u need *the ftp server just for a couple of transfer and then ur gonna shut
> it off pure-ftp is easy to configure, just install it and, as Deng notice
> you, have a look in /usr/share/doc/pure-ftp/ readme Debian for config

thank you, I have built one by vsftpd.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:09 AM
Star Liu

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Deng Xiyue
<manphiz-guest@users.alioth.debian.org> wrote:
> Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> i cannot install proftpd on sid, and wzdftpd doesn't work correctly.
>> does anyone has experience in setting up a ftp server on debian sid? I
>> need the function of uploading files and folders. thanks
>
> Vsftpd works fine. *Check /usr/share/doc/vsftpd/* for docs after
> installing.

I have a problem with the vsftpd now. I can successfully upload files
and folders to ftp server, but those files are with permission 600,
which means that I have to change their permissions to allow read,
it's not convinient, how to make uploaded files with permission 664?
thanks.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:20 AM
Deng Xiyue

Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Deng Xiyue
> <manphiz-guest@users.alioth.debian.org> wrote:
>> Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> i cannot install proftpd on sid, and wzdftpd doesn't work correctly.
>>> does anyone has experience in setting up a ftp server on debian sid? I
>>> need the function of uploading files and folders. thanks
>>
>> Vsftpd works fine. *Check /usr/share/doc/vsftpd/* for docs after
>> installing.
>>
> I have a problem with the vsftpd now. I can successfully upload files
> and folders to ftp server, but those files are with permission 600,
> which means that I have to change their permissions to allow read,
> it's not convinient, how to make uploaded files with permission 664?
> thanks.

Check your /etc/vsftpd.conf, you'll find the following lines:

# Default umask for local users is 077. You may wish to change this to 022,
#local_umask=022

Docs are helpful too.

Regards,
Deng Xiyue