Old 03-06-2009, 06:07 AM
David Baron

Default That New Loving Warning from Modprobe

Very nice. Screen flooded with them. NO notification from change logs. Nada.
Just a init screen full of ."... requires .conf, will be ignored in future
release."

Does one simply append .conf to all the files in modprob.d? If so, anyone have
a simple sed or perl script to take care of this? (Should have been provided
and maybe executed on the module utilities upgrade itself, huh?)

Old 03-06-2009, 06:45 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2009-03-06 08:07 +0100, David Baron wrote:

> Very nice. Screen flooded with them. NO notification from change logs. Nada.
> Just a init screen full of ."... requires .conf, will be ignored in future
> release."

IMHO such stuff should have been uploaded to experimental first, but the
maintainer is notorious for breaking things. Have a look at the
archived bugs of udev¹, for instance.

> Does one simply append .conf to all the files in modprob.d? If so, anyone have
> a simple sed or perl script to take care of this? (Should have been provided
> and maybe executed on the module utilities upgrade itself, huh?)

No, this has to be done by the packages providing the files. Bugs have
already been filed against them.

In the meantime, I'd suggest downgrading module-init-tools to 3.4-1
until the problems have been sorted out. At least that's what I did.

Sven

¹ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?archive=1;src=udev;include=severity% 3Acritical;include=severity%3Agrave

Old 03-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Paul E Condon

On 2009-03-06_09:07:21, David Baron wrote:
> Very nice. Screen flooded with them. NO notification from change logs. Nada.
> Just a init screen full of ."... requires .conf, will be ignored in future
> release."
>
> Does one simply append .conf to all the files in modprob.d? If so, anyone have
> a simple sed or perl script to take care of this? (Should have been provided
> and maybe executed on the module utilities upgrade itself, huh?)

Larry Wall wrote a nice perl script for doing massive renaming of files. It is
part of Debian main. But seriously, I doubt that rename is what is needed here.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net