Old 03-06-2009, 03:38 AM
Star Liu

Default gecko is a good method for developing desktop software, right?

I'm thinking about the methods of developing cross platform desktop
software those days, I think the advantage of gecko is that it
seperates layout, styles and event response information(code), which
is a correct direction for software development, as I saw this
direction in web development. Other methods(gtk, qt, wx) may still
stay at the traditional stage, which mix layout information with event
response code. Am I right? what's your opinion about the direction of
desktop software development? thanks

Old 03-06-2009, 04:31 AM
Kelly Clowers

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 20:38, Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm thinking about the methods of developing cross platform desktop
> software those days, I think the advantage of gecko is that it
> seperates layout, styles and event response information(code), which
> is a correct direction for software development, as I saw this
> direction in web development. Other methods(gtk, qt, wx) may still
> stay at the traditional stage, which mix layout information with event
> response code. Am I right? what's your opinion about the direction of
> desktop software development? thanks

I don't know about the others, but QT 4 is model/view. Apparently
it isn't MVC, but Model, View, Delegate and Selections.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 03-06-2009, 04:37 AM
Star Liu

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 20:38, Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm thinking about the methods of developing cross platform desktop
>> software those days, I think the advantage of gecko is that it
>> seperates layout, styles and event response information(code), which
>> is a correct direction for software development, as I saw this
>> direction in web development. Other methods(gtk, qt, wx) may still
>> stay at the traditional stage, which mix layout information with event
>> response code. Am I right? what's your opinion about the direction of
>> desktop software development? thanks
>
> I don't know about the others, but QT 4 is model/view. Apparently
> it isn't MVC, but Model, View, Delegate and Selections.

is it a good idea to use unified layout language to describe both
desktop and web application user interface? if QT also seperates
layout code from event handler code, then shall it invent a new
language to describe its user interface? For gecko, I hope XUL can be
integrated into html, is that possible?

Old 03-06-2009, 05:20 AM
Kelly Clowers

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 21:37, Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 20:38, Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm thinking about the methods of developing cross platform desktop
>>> software those days, I think the advantage of gecko is that it
>>> seperates layout, styles and event response information(code), which
>>> is a correct direction for software development, as I saw this
>>> direction in web development. Other methods(gtk, qt, wx) may still
>>> stay at the traditional stage, which mix layout information with event
>>> response code. Am I right? what's your opinion about the direction of
>>> desktop software development? thanks
>>
>> I don't know about the others, but QT 4 is model/view. Apparently
>> it isn't MVC, but Model, View, Delegate and Selections.
>>
> is it a good idea to use unified layout language to describe both
> desktop and web application user interface? if QT also seperates
> layout code from event handler code, then shall it invent a new
> language to describe its user interface? For gecko, I hope XUL can be
> integrated into html, is that possible?

I know XUL can mix with other xml, including xhtml and mathML.
I can't speak to the rest since my programming ability only goes
as far as a little bash and perl scripting and a few quarters of Java.