Old 03-06-2009, 02:10 AM
"Mr. Wang Long"

Default OpenOffice.org hangs on start up

Dear all,

After a recently upgrade, OOo in sid (amd64, version 1:3.0.1-4+b1,
with Gnome) no longer works anymore. It just stops while showing OOo's
splash screen, with CPU usage 0% and no output at all on command line.

Indeed it is difficult to locate the problem, because I cannot find an
options like "-verbose" or "-debug" to obtain more information: the
man page of ooffice is for OOo version 2, and "ooffice -help" lists
little useful options.

I tried "ooffice -nologo", then tried to rename the folder
"~/.openoffice.org/", then tried to remove package
"openoffice.org-gtk" and "openoffice.org-gnome", but none of those
efforts works.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Best Regards,
Wang Long

Old 03-06-2009, 04:17 AM
Greg Madden

On Thursday 05 March 2009, Mr. Wang Long wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> After a recently upgrade, OOo in sid (amd64, version 1:3.0.1-4+b1,
> with Gnome) no longer works anymore. It just stops while showing OOo's
> splash screen, with CPU usage 0% and no output at all on command line.
>
> Indeed it is difficult to locate the problem, because I cannot find an
> options like "-verbose" or "-debug" to obtain more information: the
> man page of ooffice is for OOo version 2, and "ooffice -help" lists
> little useful options.
>
> I tried "ooffice -nologo", then tried to rename the folder
> "~/.openoffice.org/", then tried to remove package
> "openoffice.org-gtk" and "openoffice.org-gnome", but none of those
> efforts works.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks!
>
> Best Regards,
> Wang Long

Sometimes starting an app from a terminal, cli, will have relevant output.

--
Peace

Greg Madden

Old 03-06-2009, 04:58 AM
"Mr. Wang Long"

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 13:17, Greg Madden <gomadtroll@acsalaska.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 05 March 2009, Mr. Wang Long wrote:
>> After a recently upgrade, OOo in sid (amd64, version 1:3.0.1-4+b1,
>> with Gnome) no longer works anymore. It just stops while showing OOo's
>> splash screen, with CPU usage 0% and no output at all on command line.
>
> Sometimes starting an app from a terminal, cli, will have relevant output.

Thank you for your kindly suggestion, but I tried that already, and
got no output at all.
By the way, I'm not very sure what is "cli" ... Is it means command
line? Thank you.
> --
> Peace
>
> Greg Madden

Regards,
Wang Long

Old 03-06-2009, 05:12 AM
Celejar

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 13:58:45 +0800
"Mr. Wang Long" <mr.wang.long@gmail.com> wrote:

> By the way, I'm not very sure what is "cli" ... Is it means command
> line? Thank you.

Command Line Interface.

Celejar

Old 03-06-2009, 05:28 AM
Kelly Clowers

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 19:10, Mr. Wang Long <mr.wang.long@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> After a recently upgrade, OOo in sid (amd64, version 1:3.0.1-4+b1,
> with Gnome) no longer works anymore. It just stops while showing OOo's
> splash screen, with CPU usage 0% and no output at all on command line.
>
> Indeed it is difficult to locate the problem, because I cannot find an
> options like "-verbose" or "-debug" to obtain more information: the
> man page of ooffice is for OOo version 2, and "ooffice -help" lists
> little useful options.
>
> I tried "ooffice -nologo", then tried to rename the folder
> "~/.openoffice.org/", then tried to remove package
> "openoffice.org-gtk" and "openoffice.org-gnome", but none of those
> efforts works.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks!

Just reporting I have the same issue for the last several version of
OO (from experimental). Invoking from CLI gives no info. I couldn't
even get anything useful from gbd, but I think that is just because
I don't really understand gdb (-dbg packages where installed).
I don't do a lot of research, or file a bug, because I don't really
need OO,

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 03-06-2009, 07:00 AM
Russ Cook

Mr. Wang Long wrote:

Dear all,

After a recently upgrade, OOo in sid (amd64, version 1:3.0.1-4+b1,
with Gnome) no longer works anymore. It just stops while showing OOo's
splash screen, with CPU usage 0% and no output at all on command line.

Indeed it is difficult to locate the problem, because I cannot find an
options like "-verbose" or "-debug" to obtain more information: the
man page of ooffice is for OOo version 2, and "ooffice -help" lists
little useful options.

I tried "ooffice -nologo", then tried to rename the folder
"~/.openoffice.org/", then tried to remove package
"openoffice.org-gtk" and "openoffice.org-gnome", but none of those
efforts works.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Best Regards,
Wang Long

I don't know if this is the same problem, but yesterday I just fixed a
related issue on my system
(AMD64, Sid). When trying to start OpenOffice from the pull-down menu
in Gnome, I got the
"please wait" clock symbol, but the program never started. Running
"sudo apt-cache showpkg openoffice.org" revealed many missing modules,
including openoffice.org-writer, which prevented
the word processor from running (it wasn't installed). The problem was
solved by running "sudo apt-get install -reinstall openoffice.org" .

Don't know if this problem is the same as yours, but thought I'd offer
it as something to check.

Good luck.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Rene Engelhard

Hi,

Mr. Wang Long wrote:
> After a recently upgrade, OOo in sid (amd64, version 1:3.0.1-4+b1,
> with Gnome) no longer works anymore. It just stops while showing OOo's
> splash screen, with CPU usage 0% and no output at all on command line.

Did it work before with other 3.0.x?

> Any ideas? Thanks!

Yes, your name sounds chinese or at least from some other asian country.
Do you use some input method?

Can it be you ran into the known X bug?

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=511178 + the ones merged with it

Gre/Regards,

Ren
--
.'`. Ren Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
`. `' rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73

Old 03-06-2009, 08:11 AM
"Mr. Wang Long"

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 16:45, Rene Engelhard <rene@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Mr. Wang Long wrote:
>> After a recently upgrade, OOo in sid (amd64, version 1:3.0.1-4+b1,
>> with Gnome) no longer works anymore. It just stops while showing OOo's
>> splash screen, with CPU usage 0% and no output at all on command line.
>
> Did it work before with other 3.0.x?
>
>> Any ideas? Thanks!
>
> Yes, your name sounds chinese or at least from some other asian country.
> Do you use some input method?
>
> Can it be you ran into the known X bug?
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=511178 + the ones merged with it
>
> Grüße/Regards,
>
> René
> --
> *.'`. *René Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
> *: :' : http://www.debian.org | http://people.debian.org/~rene/
> *`. `' *rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73
> * `- * Fingerprint: 41FA F208 28D4 7CA5 19BB *7AD9 F859 90B0 248A EB73

Thank you very much! Indeed I use scim-bridge as IM, and that was the
problem: the command "unset GTK_IM_MODULE; ooffice" launched OOo
successfully.

Since I installed "scim-bridge-agent" without
"scim-bridge-client-gtk", currently GTK_IM_MODULE=xim. After I
installed "scim-bridge-client-gtk" and changed GTK_IM_MODULE into
scim-bridge, the problem was solved. It seems that the latest OOo does
not like the xim module.

This problem was not found in previous version of OOo.

Thank you again,
Wang Long

Fri Mar 6 11:30:01 2009
From: "(=?iso-8859-1?q?``-_-��?=) -- BUGabundo"
<ubuntu@bugabundo.net>
To: ubuntu-desktop@lists.ubuntu.com,
asac@ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: resume from hibernation crashed X (was Desktop Team 20090303
meeting minutes)
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 00:45:34 +0000
V#z|Aoxu? =?utf-8?q?z^1rr?=@eh3EP;,T,K26yqPd!C85(%1]rC/VBG91),E1[E4KQ>(
=?utf-8?q?4dUjAi~Nj9
AXugE4?=(8(ONGQR+"60@{)
=?utf-8?q?BY^!X=jJu2z/KXFs5H9C`K==^]3QRC-]a%fD2E[}_? =?utf-8?q?ztpc`SB!
:l{?VG-f}mZ/4P?=<0r/'kvSzRJc2d+dZbJfJGm,2izM@.mS;
sNj3|*#p)
=?utf-8?q?PX`'|J-o|91xZ
:r-l?IWydaiuc~3uI?=<Rar;
csxL2D&ny'44DU,l)8b3; w; =WN<
=?utf-8?q?^DgP]q*^?3$K|Z#HkeSr.
26$?MIME-Version: 1.0
Sender: ubuntu-desktop-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com

--==============e49155301765084775=Content-Type: multipart/signed;
boundary="nextPart7697183.LZPP0TQRB5";
protocol="application/pgp-signature";
micalg=pgp-sha1

--nextPart7697183.LZPP0TQRB5

Ol�ick e a todos.

On Tuesday 03 March 2009 18:53:11 Rick Spencer wrote:
> === Alexander Sack (asac) ===
> * did some suspend and resume testing and complained about bad behaviour to
> leann; next: file bugs for X (which seems to crash).

Not sure if Bryce want them together or separate, but here is mine:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/335465

--
Hi, I'm BUGabundo, and I am Ubuntu (whyubuntu.com)
(``-_-��) http://LinuxNoDEI.BUGabundo.net

--==============e49155301765084775=Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

--==============e49155301765084775==--

Old 03-06-2009, 08:29 AM
"Mr. Wang Long"

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 17:11, Mr. Wang Long <mr.wang.long@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 16:45, Rene Engelhard <rene@debian.org> wrote:
>> Do you use some input method?
>>
>> Can it be you ran into the known X bug?
>>
>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=511178 + the ones merged with it
>>
> Thank you very much! Indeed I use scim-bridge as IM, and that was the
> problem: the command "unset GTK_IM_MODULE; ooffice" launched OOo
> successfully.
>
> Since I installed "scim-bridge-agent" without
> "scim-bridge-client-gtk", currently GTK_IM_MODULE=xim. After I
> installed "scim-bridge-client-gtk" and changed GTK_IM_MODULE into
> scim-bridge, the problem was solved. It seems that the latest OOo does
> not like the xim module.
>
> This problem was not found in previous version of OOo.

Update:
The problem seems come back if I turn on the systray quickstarter.
Fortunately this is a minor issue.

// Now I'm really expecting the new IM called "ibus", which is
supposed to have less compatibility issue than scim family.

Regards,
Wang Long