Old 03-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Joćo Henrique Viana

Default Debian on s390

Hi all,

We're trying to install Debian Lenny for s390 in IBM z890 mainframe in
a LPAR via CD-ROM from a HMC console.

After the first system load, before the debian-installer runs, the
system hangs with the message below.

List of all partitions:

No file system could mount root, tried:

Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown
block (1,0)

The SLES 10 SP2 is instaled and running very well in another LPAR, but
I prefer Debian
and the apt.

Can someone help me in this issue?

Best regards,

Joćo Henrique

Old 03-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Owen Townend

2009/3/6 Joćo Henrique Viana <joao@engepel.com.br>:
> Hi all,
>
> We're trying to install Debian Lenny for s390 in IBM z890 mainframe in a
> LPAR via CD-ROM from a HMC console.
> After the first system load, before the debian-installer runs, the system
> hangs with the message below.
>
> List of all partitions:
> No file system could mount root, tried:
> Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block
> (1,0)
>
> The SLES 10 SP2 is instaled and running very well in another LPAR, but I
> prefer Debian and the apt.
> Can someone help me in this issue?

Lets start with a basic question - what storage have you presented to the lpar?

cheers,
Owen.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:14 AM
Bob Cox

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 16:33:37 -0300, Joćo Henrique Viana (joao@engepel.com.br) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We're trying to install Debian Lenny for s390 in IBM z890 mainframe in a LPAR
> via CD-ROM from a HMC console.

You may get more help by trying the debian-s390 mailing list.

Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.