Old 03-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Ray Lozano

Default New installation can only boot to command line as root

Hello Everyone:

I installed Lenny for a normal workstation:
Pent 4 2.40 GHz
1 GB RAM
2 WDC WD400JB-00ENA0 hard drives (used to be mirrored drives on an XP
machine; I installed on the master drive)
Radeon 7000 display adapter
Intel Pro/100 net card
ASUS CD-5520/A
Sony Multiscan 17sf II monitor

The graphic installation from small CD went well but could not boot into
the graphic login afterward. I just get a blank monitor and the hard
drive stops activity.

I re-installed a couple of times, hoping that something would change. No
luck.

I discovered after booting into the "single user" mode, that I can log
in to the command line as root. After I exit root, the machine then
hangs just like it did upon reboot as described above with a blank monitor.

I'm stuck. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Ray

Old 03-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Robert Hodgins

> The graphic installation from small CD went well but could not boot into
> the graphic login afterward. I just get a blank monitor and the hard
> drive stops activity.
>
> I re-installed a couple of times, hoping that something would change. No
> luck.

Is the "small CD" the netinst? I tried several times to install Lenny
using the netinst CD and had problems like those you describe. After a
couple of retries, I just downloaded the first CD
(debian-500-i386-CD-1.iso) and installation went to completion.

This sort of issue with the netinst CD has been encountered by other
folks:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=210385&sid=bffbdd6d39911673befef15 03253faad

HTH

Old 03-06-2009, 03:24 AM
Ray Lozano

Thanks for the suggestion, Robert.

I downloaded the complete CD 1 and re-installed but I got the exact same
result.

Ray

Old 03-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Umarzuki Mochlis

I downloaded the complete CD 1 and re-installed but I got the exact same

result.Even after "dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg"? I don't know if this will solve the drive stopping problem but give it a shot anyway.

Ray

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://gameornot.net

Old 03-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Juha Tuuna

Ray Lozano wrote:
> I discovered after booting into the "single user" mode, that I can log
> in to the command line as root. After I exit root, the machine then
> hangs just like it did upon reboot as described above with a blank monitor.

In single user mode try to let Xorg to do the configuration:

# Xorg -configure

This will write /root/xorg.conf.new
Try it:

# Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new

This method usually gives a reasonably good configuration file to edit and
tweak. If Xorg fails you should at least get some error messages to point you
to the right direction.

--
Juha Tuuna

Old 03-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Ray Lozano

Thanks, Umarzuki, but I still got the same result: no X windows.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Ray Lozano

Thanks, Juha, I ran the commands you suggested and this is what
/root/xorg.conf.new contains. I don't see any error messages, but I do
see my graphics card. Still no X windows.

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/etc/X11/rgb"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dri"
Load "record"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "glx"
Load "GLcore"
Load "xtrap"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
#DisplaySize 330 240 # mm
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "SNY"
ModelName "0"
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
### Available Driver options are:-
### [arg]: arg optional
#Option "NoAccel" # [<bool>]
#Option "SWcursor" # [<bool>]
#Option "Dac6Bit" # [<bool>]
#Option "Dac8Bit" # [<bool>]
#Option "BusType" # [<str>]
#Option "CPPIOMode" # [<bool>]
#Option "CPusecTimeout" # <i>
#Option "AGPMode" # <i>
#Option "AGPFastWrite" # [<bool>]
#Option "AGPSize" # <i>
#Option "GARTSize" # <i>
#Option "RingSize" # <i>
#Option "BufferSize" # <i>
#Option "EnableDepthMoves" # [<bool>]
#Option "EnablePageFlip" # [<bool>]
#Option "NoBackBuffer" # [<bool>]
#Option "DMAForXv" # [<bool>]
#Option "FBTexPercent" # <i>
#Option "DepthBits" # <i>
#Option "PCIAPERSize" # <i>
#Option "AccelDFS" # [<bool>]
#Option "DDCMode" # [<bool>]
#Option "IgnoreEDID" # [<bool>]
#Option "DisplayPriority" # [<str>]
#Option "PanelSize" # [<str>]
#Option "ForceMinDotClock" # <freq>
#Option "ColorTiling" # [<bool>]
#Option "VideoKey" # <i>
#Option "RageTheatreCrystal" # <i>
#Option "RageTheatreTunerPort" # <i>
#Option "RageTheatreCompositePort" # <i>
#Option "RageTheatreSVideoPort" # <i>
#Option "TunerType" # <i>
#Option "RageTheatreMicrocPath" # <str>
#Option "RageTheatreMicrocType" # <str>
#Option "ScalerWidth" # <i>
#Option "RenderAccel" # [<bool>]
#Option "SubPixelOrder" # [<str>]
#Option "ShowCache" # [<bool>]
#Option "DynamicClocks" # [<bool>]
#Option "VGAAccess" # [<bool>]
#Option "ReverseDDC" # [<bool>]
#Option "LVDSProbePLL" # [<bool>]
#Option "AccelMethod" # <str>
#Option "DRI" # [<bool>]
#Option "ConnectorTable" # <str>
#Option "DefaultConnectorTable" # [<bool>]
#Option "DefaultTMDSPLL" # [<bool>]
#Option "TVDACLoadDetect" # [<bool>]
#Option "ForceTVOut" # [<bool>]
#Option "TVStandard" # <str>
#Option "IgnoreLidStatus" # [<bool>]
#Option "DefaultTVDACAdj" # [<bool>]
#Option "Int10" # [<bool>]
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "radeon"
VendorName "ATI Technologies Inc"
BoardName "Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 1
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 4
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 8
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 15
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Old 03-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 11:12:11AM -0600, Ray Lozano wrote:
> Thanks, Umarzuki, but I still got the same result: no X windows.

In root, why not run "depmod -a" to generate modules.dep and map files.

I hit similar bug. I do not know where it came from but this fixed it.

What system are you running?

I was running sid but swiched to lenny. I may have downgraded some
package...

Osamu

Old 03-06-2009, 05:31 PM
ghe

Old 03-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Ray Lozano

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I installed Ubuntu right on top and
it worked immediately.

Issue closed.