Old 03-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Robert Brockway

Default how to solve the problem "Could not bind sock on port 21: Address already in use"?

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Star Liu wrote:

i changed the port my ftp server use, then it starts. it's good, i'm
not so stupid.

Hi Star. I'd recommend against solving the problem that way. Ports are
standardised so they may be found easily by those who needs them.

As others have noted Inetd is the Internet superserver. If you look in
/etc/inetd.conf (or /etc/xinetd.* if using xinetd) then you should see an
entry where it is starting an ftp server on tcp/21. It shouldn't be
starting anything else there unless you have a honeypot set up.

So I'd recommend finding out what Inetd is starting, disable it and start
your ftp server on the correct port.

Having said that I wouldn't recommend ftp for anything except anonymous
access. sftp is now widely supported in file transfer clients even on
MS-Windows. sftp is a lot more secure and doesn't have any problems with
firewalls like ftp does.

Cheers,

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy

Old 03-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Emanoil Kotsev

Yann Lejeune wrote:

> On 2009/03/05-15:22(+0800), Star Liu wrote :
>> i have found it by lsof -i:21, it's inetd, what's this process do? is
>> it safe to stop it and remove it? how to stop and remove it? thanks
>>
> Hi,
> inetd is a "super-server" on Unix system. It manages Internet services
> and in many cases FTP server.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inetd
>
> Edit /etc/inetd.conf file, comment lines that enable ftp server and
> restart inetd daemon (invoke-rc.d ...), check with netstat -laptn that
> no program uses TCP/21, and then start your FTP server.
>
> Another solution is to remove inetd package, if you really don't use it.
>
> Regards.
>
> Yann.

thank you for explaining it finally

I had to laugh reading all the post

regards

Old 03-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Emanoil Kotsev

Star Liu wrote:

>> Having said that I wouldn't recommend ftp for anything except anonymous
>> access. *sftp is now widely supported in file transfer clients even on
>> MS-Windows. *sftp is a lot more secure and doesn't have any problems with
>> firewalls like ftp does.
> thank you, I have stopped inetd using 21 port by commenting out that
> line about ftp, but unfortunitely, I have not setup my ftp server, it
> seems the best ftp server is proftpd, but sid doesn't support
> it(why?), then how could i setup a ftp server on sid? I have tried
> more then 5 ftpd servers, like wzdftpd, pureftpd,...., but none is
> successful, any suggestion? thanks

most of us are using sftp I guess. The only reason I'm using tftp is for
nfs-boot/root for diskless clients and I am pretty happy atftpd and tftp

windows users use then WinSCP or putty to exchange files with the server

besides if you have something running on port 21 itshould be an ftp server.
why don't you try what you have. Instead of disable it, why not remove it?

Anyway, your descisions

regards