Old 03-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Lisi Reisz

Default Will this program run under wine? or Crossover Office?

The program in question is "Who do you think You Are? Family Tree Maker". Has
anyone got this going successfully? If so, how? And on what hardware?

I have successfully installed it on Lenny, but it seems not actually to run.

This is for someone else, so "Use a different program" is not an option.

All tips welcomed. (Even plug it in, turn it on - or RTFM ;-) But if the
latter, could you also say which manual - I am not getting very far along
that route.)

TIA
Lisi

Old 03-05-2009, 10:35 AM
James Kerr

On Thursday 05 March 2009 Lisi Reisz wrote:

> The program in question is "Who do you think You Are? Family Tree
> Maker". Has anyone got this going successfully? If so, how? And
> on what hardware?
>
> I have successfully installed it on Lenny, but it seems not
> actually to run.
>
> This is for someone else, so "Use a different program" is not an
> option.
>
> All tips welcomed. (Even plug it in, turn it on - or RTFM ;-) But
> if the latter, could you also say which manual - I am not getting
> very far along that route.)

There is a "Family Tree Maker" referred to in the AppDB at wine HQ.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=494

Jim

Old 03-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Michael Pobega

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 10:04:47AM +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> The program in question is "Who do you think You Are? Family Tree Maker". Has
> anyone got this going successfully? If so, how? And on what hardware?
>
> I have successfully installed it on Lenny, but it seems not actually to run.
>
> This is for someone else, so "Use a different program" is not an option.
>
> All tips welcomed. (Even plug it in, turn it on - or RTFM ;-) But if the
> latter, could you also say which manual - I am not getting very far along
> that route.)
>
> TIA
> Lisi

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=494

Apparently it works, but not too well. Also, check the AppDB before
asking about Wine compatibility. And keep in mind that this is also
debian-user, whereas Wine has it's own mailing list (which would be
better suited for a question like this, and may even end with a patch of
some sort).

Good luck to you/your friend getting this program to work.

--
http://pobega.wordpress.com
http://identica/pobega

Old 03-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Dotan Cohen

> The program in question is "Who do you think You Are? Family Tree Maker". *Has
> anyone got this going successfully? *If so, how? *And on what hardware?
>
> I have successfully installed it on Lenny, but it seems not actually to run.
>
> This is for someone else, so "Use a different program" is not an option.
>
> All tips welcomed. *(Even plug it in, turn it on - or RTFM ;-) *But if the
> latter, could you also say which manual - I am not getting very far along
> that route.)

Lisi, you really should ask the distributor of that application, who
can be reached here:
http://www.avanquest.com/USA/corporate/contact/index.html

Avanquest is a big software house and they have shown to be open to
writing Linux software if the market requests it. So by asking them if
it works on Wine or if there is a Linux version then you are directly
contributing to the state of Linux software. Please write to them and
let us know what they say. Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com