Old 03-05-2009, 06:12 AM
Star Liu

Default how to solve the problem "Could not bind sock on port 21: Address already in use"?

i found that there is already a application listening on port 21, but
i donot know what's the application, and it prevents my ftp server
starting, so i want to find out the app and stop it, how to do it?
thanks.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:21 AM
Nelson Castillo

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> wrote:
> i found that there is already a application listening on port 21, but
> i donot know what's the application, and it prevents my ftp server
> starting, so i want to find out the app and stop it, how to do it?
> thanks.

Try with

netstat -p

?

Old 03-05-2009, 06:22 AM
Star Liu

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> wrote:
> i found that there is already a application listening on port 21, but
> i donot know what's the application, and it prevents my ftp server
> starting, so i want to find out the app and stop it, how to do it?
> thanks.
i have found it by lsof -i:21, it's inetd, what's this process do? is
it safe to stop it and remove it? how to stop and remove it? thanks

Old 03-05-2009, 06:26 AM
Star Liu

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Nelson Castillo <nelsoneci@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> i found that there is already a application listening on port 21, but
>> i donot know what's the application, and it prevents my ftp server
>> starting, so i want to find out the app and stop it, how to do it?
>> thanks.
>
> Try with
>
> *netstat -p
>
> ?
in fact i just want to install a ftp server, but there is no proftp
server in sid, and other ftp servers doesn't work. At last i found
wzdftpd, but it says "Could not bind sock on port 21: Address already
in use" and refuse to start.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:27 AM
Nelson Castillo

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> i found that there is already a application listening on port 21, but
>> i donot know what's the application, and it prevents my ftp server
>> starting, so i want to find out the app and stop it, how to do it?
>> thanks.
> i have found it by lsof -i:21, it's inetd, what's this process do? is
> it safe to stop it and remove it? how to stop and remove it? thanks

I guess you can edit /etc/inetd.conf and then restart inetd.

On my Lenny installation the initialization script is
/etc/init.d/openbsd-inetd .

Old 03-05-2009, 06:34 AM
Star Liu

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Nelson Castillo <nelsoneci@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> i found that there is already a application listening on port 21, but
>>> i donot know what's the application, and it prevents my ftp server
>>> starting, so i want to find out the app and stop it, how to do it?
>>> thanks.
>> i have found it by lsof -i:21, it's inetd, what's this process do? is
>> it safe to stop it and remove it? how to stop and remove it? thanks
>
> I guess you can edit /etc/inetd.conf and then restart inetd.
>
> On my Lenny installation the initialization script is
> /etc/init.d/openbsd-inetd .

i changed the port my ftp server use, then it starts. it's good, i'm
not so stupid.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Nelson Castillo

>> I guess you can edit /etc/inetd.conf and then restart inetd.
>>
>> On my Lenny installation the initialization script is
>> /etc/init.d/openbsd-inetd .
>>
> i changed the port my ftp server use, then it starts. it's good, i'm
> not so stupid.

Sure. Nobody said you were. Have a nice day/night.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:29 AM
Star Liu

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 10:48 PM, Robert Brockway
<robert@timetraveller.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Star Liu wrote:
>
>> i changed the port my ftp server use, then it starts. it's good, i'm
>> not so stupid.
>
> Hi Star. *I'd recommend against solving the problem that way. *Ports are
> standardised so they may be found easily by those who needs them.
>
> As others have noted Inetd is the Internet superserver. *If you look in
> /etc/inetd.conf (or /etc/xinetd.* if using xinetd) then you should see an
> entry where it is starting an ftp server on tcp/21. *It shouldn't be
> starting anything else there unless you have a honeypot set up.
>
> So I'd recommend finding out what Inetd is starting, disable it and start
> your ftp server on the correct port.
>
> Having said that I wouldn't recommend ftp for anything except anonymous
> access. *sftp is now widely supported in file transfer clients even on
> MS-Windows. *sftp is a lot more secure and doesn't have any problems with
> firewalls like ftp does.
thank you, I have stopped inetd using 21 port by commenting out that
line about ftp, but unfortunitely, I have not setup my ftp server, it
seems the best ftp server is proftpd, but sid doesn't support
it(why?), then how could i setup a ftp server on sid? I have tried
more then 5 ftpd servers, like wzdftpd, pureftpd,...., but none is
successful, any suggestion? thanks

Old 03-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Star Liu wrote:
> thank you, I have stopped inetd using 21 port by commenting out that
> line about ftp, but unfortunitely, I have not setup my ftp server, it
> seems the best ftp server is proftpd, but sid doesn't support
> it(why?), then how could i setup a ftp server on sid? I have tried
> more then 5 ftpd servers, like wzdftpd, pureftpd,...., but none is
> successful, any suggestion? thanks

I really don't know why you say sid does not support it:

$ apt-cache policy
proftpd-basic
proftpd-basic:

Installed:
(none)
Candidate:
1.3.1-17
Version
table:
1.3.2-1
0
50 http://ftp.br.debian.org unstable/main
Packages
1.3.1-17
0
900 http://ftp.br.debian.org testing/main
Packages

And you could always compile from the sources.

--
"Were there no women, men might live like gods."
-- Thomas Dekker

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br