Old 03-05-2009, 12:38 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Default Why did you chose Debian over CentOS?

Raleigh Guevarra wrote:

Why did you chose Debian over CentOS to host dozens of websites?

To give a serious answer: because I know how to use Debian. Choosing
CentOS would lower my productivity because I'm not familiar with it.
Time spent on learning it is lost money since "time == money"

Old 03-05-2009, 12:42 AM
Bill Thompson

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 17:10:41 -0800 (PST)
Raleigh Guevarra <deathect@yahoo.com> wrote:

> To All Web Hosting Providers,
> *
> I need your help to prove and defend Debian to the CIO and*a dozen of
> developers.
> Why did you chose Debian over CentOS to host dozens of websites?
> *
> Both technical and logical inputs or explanation is greatly
> appreciated.
> *
> Raleigh

+ Stability.
Debian packages are tested through a "unstable->testing->stable" release
cycle and are not dependent on a time-table for release.

+ Reliability.
Debian is 100% community based and not reliant on a "prominent North
American Enterprise Linux vendor" that may change their distribution or
development strategy due to market forces. As long as there are
developers interested in Debian, there will be a Debian system to use.

+Package management and administration tools.
Covered by Oliver Schneider

+Reputation
All the cool kids use Debian. Debian/rules

--
Bill Thompson
BillT@Mahagonny.com

Old 03-05-2009, 12:45 AM
ghe

Old 03-05-2009, 01:10 AM
steve

Bill Thompson wrote:

> +Reputation
> All the cool kids use Debian. Debian/rules

+1

http://blogs.pcmag.com/atwork/2008/07/why_debians_still_a_great_distro_choice.php
http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/talks/why_debian/talk.html

I could post links all day but it seems pointless. Debian is THE rock
solid distro by which all others are judged.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions#Debian-based

vs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions#Red_Hat_Enterprise_Lin ux-based

let your CIO do the math.

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

~ Netiquette ~
http://www.writerswrite.com/journal/dec99/pirillo1.htm

Old 03-05-2009, 03:15 AM
Carl Fink

CentOS didn't exist when I started using Debian, and I'm used to it now.
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Old 03-05-2009, 04:05 AM
Louie Miranda

For me, even if I am a Debian user and admin. I still choosed Cent OS?

Why: Not sure if cPanel would be ok with Debian.

But, if Debian will surely release a note or cPanel? an article about it, I will definitely switch my server anytime!
--
Louie Miranda (lmiranda@gmail.com)
http://www.louiemiranda.net

Quality Web Hosting - www.axishift.com

Pinoy Web Hosting, Web Hosting Philippines

CentOS didn't exist when I started using Debian, and I'm used to it now.

--

Carl Fink * * * * * * * * * * * * * nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com. *Reviews! *Observations!

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Old 03-05-2009, 04:06 AM
"H.S."

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> Because Debian sounds cooler. CentOS sounds like it's worth a cent.

This one should be saved for the marketing people. They would definitely
go for this one. That is one department less to convince.

ever having been read.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:45 AM
"Andrew M.A. Cater"

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 06:45:35PM -0700, ghe wrote:

> Raleigh Guevarra wrote:
>
> > Why did you chose Debian over CentOS to host dozens of websites?

Not to host dozens of websites - but to host crucial servers.

Minimalism: a Debian base install is tiny compared to a
RH/CentOS base. You can add individual packages easily. In my (limited)
experience, a RH base may pull in 900M (including unnecessary X Windows)
of packages versus Debian's 200M.

Security: As the admin, you can control services more readily. [Though
Debian base install does include NFS, which you'll want to remove].

dpkg --get-selections > myfilelist

... move to different machine ...

dpkg --set-selections < myfilelist

which will work pretty well even if you move architectures
between, say, Sun and x86

All IMHO - Just my 0.02 Euros

Andy

Old 03-05-2009, 01:52 PM
"Stackpole, Chris"

[snip]

*

I /really/ like CentOS. However, I choose Debian over CentOS
for a few reasons.

*

Apt. YUM is getting better but I hit dependency hell only a
few months ago with it. No admin should /ever/ deal with that.

*

Package caching. When you have dozens of servers, blindly
doing updates is a bad idea but updating individually can be near impossible.
Setting up a package repository so that packages you want get updated when you
want them to is something that ‘unnamed north American vendors’
make you pay for and it isn’t the easiest of tasks in CentOS. It is
trivial w/ Debian (I am aware of at _least_
two guides being written and commented on within this mailing list within the
last 6 months). A side bonus to this, instead of pulling X MB of data for each
update on each server and wasting bandwidth, a Debian package cacher pulls once
and shares with the rest. I personally have not found a solid way of doing this
within the YUM/RPM world. An extra side bonus, which is faster your bandwidth
or your network speed? Having 30+ servers pull X MB from the internet, or one
pulling from the internet and the rest pulling over the network? I love my
package cacher. J

*

Smaller install base. The last thing you need on a production
server is a bunch of unneeded packages. Fewer packages means less updates, less
things to break, and more time for you to do productive tasks.

*

Flexibility and recovery. You really have to plan for things
to go wrong. Bad drives, bad motherboard, bad whatever you will come into work
one day with a server down (hopefully you have planned this in advance and your
users will never know). Debian is much more flexible in my opinion when it
comes to dealing with outages, backups, and recovery. Combine the above
mentioned package cacher and a good backup of data and I can do (have done and
will do) /a complete production ready/ rebuild on a completely different system
in sub 15 minutes. That is base install, all updates, all software, and ready
to go with the users never knowing they were on a different system. While I can
do most of the same things with CentOS, I just have not ever been able to get the
installer and updates that fast. My average time still sits between 35-40
minutes for a fresh rebuild of CentOS. Maybe 30 minutes isn’t a big deal
for you, but it has been for me.

*

Stable. The fact people joke and make fun of how stable
Debian is a testament to the devs who make certain that Debian stable _is_ stable!

*

Anyway, that is my 2 cents.

*

Have fun!

~Stack~

Old 03-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Joe McDonagh

Because I am a masochist.

Just kidding. I inherited an infrastructure as part of my latest job in
operations. I can tell you that from a SysAdmin/Ops Engineer point of
view, Debian and its derivatives are not as quick to get to a nice
automated infrastructure and require a lot of up-front glue to get
things going the way you want. I am not talking just web however. Once
they do work though, it's pretty flawless. And I do agree about the ease
of dist-> new dist in-place upgrades. I just find that my most common
tasks are simply easier on RHEL/CentOS.

And to the people who give a schpiel about what if RH shuts down
tomorrow, not going to happen. Someone will buy RH before they get shut
down. They are the single biggest kernel committers and their workforce
is filled with some of the most talented engineers in the open source world.