Old 03-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Raleigh Guevarra

Default Why did you chose Debian over CentOS?

To All Web Hosting Providers,

*

I need your help to prove and defend Debian to the CIO and*a dozen of developers.

*

Why did you chose Debian over CentOS to host dozens of websites?

*

Both technical and logical inputs or explanation is greatly appreciated.

*

*

Raleigh

Old 03-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Raleigh Guevarra wrote:

To All Web Hosting Providers,

I need your help to prove and defend Debian to the CIO and a dozen of
developers.

Why did you chose Debian over CentOS to host dozens of websites?

Both technical and logical inputs or explanation is greatly appreciated.

Because Debian sounds cooler. CentOS sounds like it's worth a cent.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:27 AM
"Oliver Schneider"

> I need your help to prove and defend Debian to the CIO and*a dozen of
> developers.
> *
> Why did you chose Debian over CentOS to host dozens of websites?
> *
> Both technical and logical inputs or explanation is greatly appreciated.

- The superior package management system and its numerous frontends
- Painless upgrades to the next major release
- No crippled (+ slow) Perl
- The community, or rather the communities

// Oliver

Old 03-05-2009, 12:30 AM
Stephan

Debian vs CentOS

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/840600.html

Personally, I like the concept behind Debian. CentOS is ultimately
dependent on Red Hat, while Debian is essentially self-contained.
Should Red Hat shutter their doors tomorrow, CentOS would eventually
become another dead distro. With the advancement and popularity of
Ubuntu (based on Debian,) Debian users have both an advanced core group
of users and developers to rely on (namely, the thousands of people who
collaborate on Debian packages) as well as a thriving casual user base
(the Ubuntu forums are extremely lively and helpful.)

Still, if I were in your shoes I'd do a test installation of both CentOS
and Debian on a couple of my target machines to see which distro's
glitches and bugs are easier to live with.

Stephan