Old 03-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Hendrik Boom

Default trouble prestarting the etch->lenny upgrade.

{1} The release notes did not say to run

aptitude install debian-archive-keyring

but it was necessary to avoid obnoxious warnings. It perhaps should.

(2) The release notes said to ask aptitude to report on the amount of
storage needed by running

aptitude -y -s -t --with-recommends dist-upgrade

When I did that, it ran a very long time (at lest twenty minutes,
probably over an hour, judging what I had time to do while waiting),
producing a huge stream of in-progress messages, ending with many copies
of

open: 416367; closed: 298473; defer: 0; conflict: 12
open: 416367; closed: 298473; defer: 0; conflict: 12
open: 416367; closed: 298473; defer: 0; conflict: 12

The only output indicating trouble was the following list of broken
packages.

The following packages are BROKEN:
cups cups-bsd cupsys-bsd cupsys-pt dillo firefox fvwm-gnome ghostscript
libft-perl libglade-gnome0 libglade0 liborbit0 liborbit0ldbl libsasl2
multi-gnome-terminal xmms

followed by large lists of packages to be removed, upgraded, and so
forth, and then the huge was of in-progress messages.

Now I am inclined to ignore this behaviour and proceed with the
installation. The next step, assumming there's enough space, is to
upgrade apt and/or aptitide.

Any comments? Is this a know bug in etch's aptitude? Or is my
configuration wholly screwed up.

-- hendrik

Old 03-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Daryl Styrk

* Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> [2009-03-04 18:12:04 +0000]:

> Now I am inclined to ignore this behaviour and proceed with the
> installation. The next step, assuming there's enough space, is to
> upgrade apt and/or aptitude.
>
> Any comments? Is this a know bug in etch's aptitude? Or is my
> configuration wholly screwed up.
>
> -- hendrik

I'm not so sure about the other messages you were receiving, but you do want
to upgrade apt and aptitude before continuing.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Hendrik Boom

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 13:27:11 -0500, Daryl Styrk wrote:

> * Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> [2009-03-04 18:12:04 +0000]:
>

>> Now I am inclined to ignore this behaviour and proceed with the
>> installation. The next step, assuming there's enough space, is to
>> upgrade apt and/or aptitude.
>>
>> Any comments? Is this a know bug in etch's aptitude? Or is my
>> configuration wholly screwed up.
>>
>> -- hendrik
>>

> I'm not so sure about the other messages you were receiving, but you do
> want to upgrade apt and aptitude before continuing.

I have now upgraded aptitude. Issuing the same command I used before
gives me lists of lackages to install/remove/upgrade, as usual, and then
a bunch of packages to remove to resolve conflicts. But it provides no
storage estimates at all.

I think I'll just have to hope there's enough storage.

-- hendrik

Old 03-05-2009, 01:52 AM
Daniel Burrows

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 07:15:03PM +0000, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> was heard to say:
> I have now upgraded aptitude. Issuing the same command I used before
> gives me lists of lackages to install/remove/upgrade, as usual, and then
> a bunch of packages to remove to resolve conflicts. But it provides no
> storage estimates at all.
>
> I think I'll just have to hope there's enough storage.

Did it take an hour this time?

Daniel

Old 03-07-2009, 01:50 AM
Hendrik Boom

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 18:52:00 -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 07:15:03PM +0000, Hendrik Boom
> <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> was heard to say:
>> I have now upgraded aptitude. Issuing the same command I used before
>> gives me lists of lackages to install/remove/upgrade, as usual, and
>> then a bunch of packages to remove to resolve conflicts. But it
>> provides no storage estimates at all.
>>
>> I think I'll just have to hope there's enough storage.
>
> Did it take an hour this time?
>
> Daniel

No. It was done almost immediately.
've checked on one of the packages so far -- it was firefox, which seems
to be a dummy package at this point. I'll have to check if the others
are too.

-- hendrik