Old 03-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Teemu Likonen

Default Mailing-list conventions

On 2009-03-04 14:13 (UTC), David Jardine wrote:

> If I remember correctly, the phrase was "we are on the mailing
> list...", which is quite a different thing. Please don't twist
> people's words. If I in fact remember incorrectly, I take that all
> back

OK, good point. Such things get easily lost in translation as I'm not a
native English speaker. My language (Finnish) does not even have
indefinite and definite articles. I'll apologize too if I ended up
twisting words.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

Teemu Likonen wrote:
> On 2009-03-04 13:31 (+0100), Thierry Chatelet wrote:
>
>> PS: Don't CC people unless they say it specificaly, as we are on the
>> mailing list.
>
> For your information, there are _lots_ of mailing lists where "reply to
> all" is the norm. So being on a mailing list is not the reason per se.

FWIW, the code of conduct for this particular lists reads:

"If you want to complain to someone who sent you a carbon copy when you
did not ask for it, do it privately." [1]

Ie. don't do it in replies to the list. I am slowly getting tired on
these _public_ discussions on how to cc.

Cheers,
Johannes

Old 03-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Teemu Likonen wrote:
> For your information, there are _lots_ of mailing lists where "reply to
> all" is the norm. So being on a mailing list is not the reason per se.

Yeah, I know there are such lists. I personally find that recommendation
plain stupid. If people are going to use 'reply to all' and do the
listserver job manually, then the mailing list can be dropped, and
people can just use reply to all and use long lists of recipients.

> And who know who are on the list anyway? People join and leave all the
> time and often skip messages and threads when they have no time to read
> all.

It's the poster's responsibility to look for answers to his questions.
If he does not want to subscribe to receive them, he can look at the
archives.

--
People don't change; they only become more so.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb