Old 03-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Michael Marsh

Default Mailing-list conventions (was: what's the difference and superior between gtk+ and gecko?)

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 7:56 AM, Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> wrote:
> On 2009-03-04 13:31 (+0100), Thierry Chatelet wrote:
>> PS: Don't CC people unless they say it specificaly, as we are on the
>> mailing list.
>
> For your information, there are _lots_ of mailing lists where "reply to
> all" is the norm. So being on a mailing list is not the reason per se.
> And who know who are on the list anyway? People join and leave all the
> time and often skip messages and threads when they have no time to read
> all.
>
> I'm not trying to question the conventions on this particular list. It's
> good idea to obey list policy and conventions. But they are not always
> obvious for people because, as I said, conventions differ.

If you go to lists.debian.org and click on the first link
(introduction to Debian mailing lists), there's a Code of Conduct that
includes, among other things:

# When replying to messages on the mailing list, do not send a carbon
copy (CC) to the original poster unless they explicitly request to be
copied.
# If you want to complain to someone who sent you a carbon copy when
you did not ask for it, do it privately.
# If you send messages to lists to which you are not subscribed,
always note that fact in the body of your message.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh