Old 03-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Mark Copper

Default incomplete kernel install, etch-backports

Hi,

I'm trying to update an older system to Etch. I'm following Release
Notes for Debian GNU/Linux 4.0. For hardware reasons, I ran the command

aptitude -t etch-backports install linux-image-2.6-686

Output for the command

aptitude show linux-image-2.6-686

includes

State: installed

However, even after running lilo, /vmlinuz is still symlinked to the old
kernel.

Is this related to the message I received during the installation, that
the boot loader needed to be configured to use an initrd? And if so,
where do I find out how to do this?

Thank you.

Mark

Old 03-04-2009, 11:59 PM
"s. keeling"

Mark Copper <mcopper@titaninterface.com>:

> I'm trying to update an older system to Etch. I'm following Release
> Notes for Debian GNU/Linux 4.0. For hardware reasons, I ran the command
>
> aptitude -t etch-backports install linux-image-2.6-686
>
> Output for the command
>
> aptitude show linux-image-2.6-686
>
> includes
>
> State: installed
>
> However, even after running lilo, /vmlinuz is still symlinked to the old
> kernel.
>
> Is this related to the message I received during the installation, that
> the boot loader needed to be configured to use an initrd? And if so,
> where do I find out how to do this?

Is boot support for your system enabled in that kernel (root fs &
etc)?

Please describe your system (lvm/RAID, where's /, hardware, ...).

(*) http://www.xs4all.nl/~js/gnksa/ Linux Counter #80292