Old 03-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Nuno Magalh„es

Default Lowest ram system with X. Presario 5166.

Hi,

Sorry for the contradicting subject line. I have a Compaq Presario
5166 that has 128RAM and is running Win2K. Not sluggish actually, but
it doesn't get used a lot either. I might replace it with Sid.

>From what i've been able to find, this pc will only handle a max of
384MB of ram[1] (3*128). From the Debian manual, a minimal install for
X requires 512MB. From my experience i did have a pc with 196MB (with
windowmaker) and it did run, rather slugishly. The least i'll do will
be update that ram and leave it with Win2k, but it'd be cool to
introduce gnu/linux.

The end user will want the usuals: mail, browser, office apps, copying
camera pics through usb, messenger... Now, the most user-friendly
interfaces are gnome and kde, but they are also the more ram-friendly,
i.e. they freaking love it. Also disk space is a bit of a requirement,
last time i installed gnome it ate 1GB, i can get as most as 8GB
installed (i'm on a budget - the least the better - and am using spare
parts). I could set up a personalized fluxbox or something (since this
pc is supposed to be temporary) but that would mean being called
whenever they'd want something new on the menu. Or maybe xfce or
whatever that has a small footprint and redmond look.

How can i isntall only the basics and fundamentals of gnome?
gnome-basic will do? Other suggestions? Other window managers? The end
user never used linux, is not technical, but isn't afraid of mice
either; so if things are intuitive or mimic win, it'll be ok.

Also there's an issue about wireless, the current pc they use (a very
freaking slow laptop) uses wireless through usb and this compaq
probably only has usb1. How's debian on wireless?

Constructive criticism anyone?
TIA

[1] also found similar data in other sites
http://shop.crucial.com/1/4/10397-hp-compaq-presario-5166-desktop-pc-memory-module.html

Nuno Magalh„es
LU#484677

Old 03-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Daniel Lannstrom

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 06:51:16PM +0000, Nuno Magalh„es wrote:
> gnome-basic will do? Other suggestions? Other window managers?

Don't use gnome. The current versions will grind the computer to a halt.
Instead get fluxbox or some other lightweight window manager. Also,
don't expect that firefox will be very fast. You might want to install
another browser. I have heard that Opera has a smaller memory footprint
(don't knwo if that's true with current versions though).

Old 03-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Nuno Magalh„es

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Daniel Lannstrom <op@trekdanne.se> wrote:
> [...] Also,
> don't expect that firefox will be very fast. You might want to install
> another browser. I have heard that Opera has a smaller memory footprint
> (don't knwo if that's true with current versions though).

Yeah after sending i started thinking about browsers. One of the
reasons i started using Opera a few years ago was Firefox being heavy
(plus i was already using opera on win and firefox didn't handle flash
well then). From then on i got a new machine and moved on to Firefox
but the question still remains, thanks. Midori does 100 on acid3 but
crashes a lot, kazehakase might not be fully-featured... we'll see.

Nuno Magalh„es
LU#484677

Old 03-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Curt Howland

Old 03-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Thorny

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 18:51:16 +0000, Nuno Magalh„es wrote:

> From the Debian manual, a minimal install for X
> requires 512MB.

Where did you find this? Can you provide a link so I can look at it?

In the Debian Installation Guide I can find it as a recommenced amount but
not as a required amount, required is listed as 48MB (for i386 and amd64).
Now, 48 isn't likely to give you a good user experience but the system I'm
typing this on only has 256MB.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Nuno Magalh„es

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Thorny <thorntreehome@gmail.com> wrote:
> Where did you find this? Can you provide a link so I can look at it?

I stand corrected, minimal 48MB, recommended 512MB.[1] You're using
256, i had a system with 196 but this one only has 128... we'll see.
Thanks for the heads-up.

[1] http://debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch03s04.html.en

--
Nuno Magalh„es
LU#484677

Old 03-04-2009, 01:46 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 02:09:33PM +0000, Nuno Magalh??es wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Thorny <thorntreehome@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Where did you find this? Can you provide a link so I can look at it?
>
> I stand corrected, minimal 48MB, recommended 512MB.[1] You're using
> 256, i had a system with 196 but this one only has 128... we'll see.
> Thanks for the heads-up.
>
> [1] http://debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch03s04.html.en

I have a PII-233 with 64 MB ram. (I have lesser boxes but they run
OpenBSD now).

I also have a PII-450 but it has 1GB ram.

Both use fluxbox (I hate DTEs). Firefox causes thrashing (swap
contention) on 64 MB ram, so on that box I use links2, although it _can_
use firefox if a particular site needs it as a last resort. The box
will do everything I need except firefox and photo-editing, but then
again, so will my 486 (at least it did before X 3.? was dropped and
along with it support for the S3 video hardware accel).

With a smaller box, you just need to educate the users to be more
UNIX-like in their outlook. Use LaTex instead of OpenOffice, fluxbox
instead of Gnome or KDE. The big problem with X apps is that everything
is moving to either KDE or GTK-2.x which are heavy-weight widget sets.
GTK-1.x was much lighter.

I hope this helps.

Doug.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Adam Hardy

Douglas A. Tutty on 04/03/09 14:46, wrote:

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 02:09:33PM +0000, Nuno Magalh??es wrote:

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Thorny <thorntreehome@gmail.com> wrote:

Where did you find this? Can you provide a link so I can look at it?

I stand corrected, minimal 48MB, recommended 512MB.[1] You're using
256, i had a system with 196 but this one only has 128... we'll see.
Thanks for the heads-up.

[1] http://debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch03s04.html.en

I have a PII-233 with 64 MB ram. (I have lesser boxes but they run
OpenBSD now).

I also have a PII-450 but it has 1GB ram.

You're going to have to give these up at some point before 2038 you know.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Bret Busby

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Adam Hardy wrote:

Douglas A. Tutty on 04/03/09 14:46, wrote:

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 02:09:33PM +0000, Nuno Magalh??es wrote:

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Thorny <thorntreehome@gmail.com> wrote:

Where did you find this? Can you provide a link so I can look at it?

I stand corrected, minimal 48MB, recommended 512MB.[1] You're using
256, i had a system with 196 but this one only has 128... we'll see.
Thanks for the heads-up.

[1] http://debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch03s04.html.en

I have a PII-233 with 64 MB ram. (I have lesser boxes but they run
OpenBSD now).

I also have a PII-450 but it has 1GB ram.

You're going to have to give these up at some point before 2038 you know.

It doesn't matter; by then, the machines will have taken over.

"in the ruins of Los Angeles in 2029; the world has been devastated by
nuclear war. Machines control the post-apocalyptic Earth, and are
determined to exterminate the human race."

So, any of us that are still alive then, and are still able to run, will
be too busy running for our lives, from the machines, to be worrying
about P2's and P3's.

Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992

.................................................. ..

Old 03-04-2009, 05:26 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 05:15:56PM +0000, Adam Hardy wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty on 04/03/09 14:46, wrote:
> >>I stand corrected, minimal 48MB, recommended 512MB.[1] You're using
> >>256, i had a system with 196 but this one only has 128... we'll see.
> >>Thanks for the heads-up.
> >>
> >>[1] http://debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch03s04.html.en
> >
> >I have a PII-233 with 64 MB ram. (I have lesser boxes but they run
> >OpenBSD now).
> >
> >I also have a PII-450 but it has 1GB ram.
>
> You're going to have to give these up at some point before 2038 you know.

Why, because Linux can't implement a 64-bit time format on a 32-bit
processor? If they can do it for filesystems, why not time?

I don't know what the format for the hwclock is so don't know when it
rolls over, but there ought to be a work-around before 2038.