Old 03-02-2009, 04:47 PM
josep

Default fetch root email with Icedove?

How can I set Icedove to fetch the mails to root on a local computer [/var/mail/user]?

It's a normal Debian install, no "email server"

I didn't find any docs about it :S

Thank you!

Old 03-02-2009, 06:09 PM
David Jardine

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 06:47:38PM +0100, josep wrote:
> How can I set Icedove to fetch the mails to root on a local computer
> [/var/mail/user]?
>
> It's a normal Debian install, no "email server"
>
> I didn't find any docs about it :S
>
> Thank you!

Do you really want to do that? It's normal to have mail for root
diverted to an ordinary user account. Run:

grep ^root /etc/aliases

to see who root's mail is going to.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
David

Old 03-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 07:09:29PM +0000, David Jardine wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 06:47:38PM +0100, josep wrote:
> > How can I set Icedove to fetch the mails to root on a local computer
> > [/var/mail/user]?
> >
> > It's a normal Debian install, no "email server"
> >
> > I didn't find any docs about it :S
> >
> > Thank you!
>
> Do you really want to do that? It's normal to have mail for root
> diverted to an ordinary user account. Run:
>
> grep ^root /etc/aliases
>
> to see who root's mail is going to.

and if root's mail isn't going anywhere, then put an alias in that
file a la:

root: some_user

Old 03-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Virgo Pärna

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 19:09:29 +0000, David Jardine <david@jardine.de> wrote:

> Do you really want to do that? It's normal to have mail for root
> diverted to an ordinary user account. Run:

The problem could be, that Icedove (at least in Lenny) doesn't have
Movemail support - so you really cannot read mail from local spool with it.

--
Virgo Pärna
virgo.parna@mail.ee

Old 03-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

Virgo Pärna wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 19:09:29 +0000, David Jardine <david@jardine.de> wrote:
>> Do you really want to do that? It's normal to have mail for root
>> diverted to an ordinary user account. Run:
>>

> The problem could be, that Icedove (at least in Lenny) doesn't have
> Movemail support - so you really cannot read mail from local spool with it.

Since OP didn't specify how he reads 'ordinary' mail, we can only
speculate. There are at least two ways to solve your problem:

1) /etc/aliases with
/---------
root: blah@foo.bar.org
---------
and forward root's mail to an external account.

2) or install some imap daemon and point icedove to it.

This is all a shot in the dark, since we don't know OP's mail
configuration.

Cheers,
Johannes

Old 03-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Bob Cox

or even (1b) #echo blah@foo.bar.org > ~root/.forward

> This is all a shot in the dark, since we don't know OP's mail
> configuration.

Indeed.

Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.