Old 03-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Robert Latest

Default How to selectively automount USB disks under GNOME?

Hello,

me and USB again. I normally use usbmount to automount USB disks. To
download pictures from my digital camera's card, I've written a hook
script which checks for certain things (the existence of a "DCIM"
folder, specifically), and if these are found, automatically downoads
all images from the card and sorts them into the appropriate folders.

This works fine when I use my favorite environment (console and fvwm),
but when my wife uses the Gnome desktop, some other automount
mechanism seems to override usbmount.

I don't want to tuen off the Gnome automount machanism altogether,
because of course USB sticks and other stuff should still be mounted
as before. It's just that volumes which have certain properties should
be processed specifically.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
robert

Old 03-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 15:23:01 +0100, Robert Latest wrote:
> Hello,
>
> me and USB again. I normally use usbmount to automount USB disks. To
> download pictures from my digital camera's card, I've written a hook
> script which checks for certain things (the existence of a "DCIM"
> folder, specifically), and if these are found, automatically downoads
> all images from the card and sorts them into the appropriate folders.
>
> This works fine when I use my favorite environment (console and fvwm),
> but when my wife uses the Gnome desktop, some other automount
> mechanism seems to override usbmount.
>
> I don't want to tuen off the Gnome automount machanism altogether,
> because of course USB sticks and other stuff should still be mounted
> as before. It's just that volumes which have certain properties should
> be processed specifically.
>
> Is this possible?

The file /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi contains a commented-out
example for telling gnome-volume-manager not to automount certain media.
I think it should be possible to adapt this example so that it matches
only your camera's card, using "lshal" to find a combination of match
keys that are specific to this medium. (It is advisable to put
customized rules into a separate fdi file, e.g. "local-rules.fdi", to
ensure that upgrades of the hal package do not interfere with your own
rules.)

Florian |