Old 03-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Ron Johnson

Default bring back hdd from dd urandom

On 03/02/2009 07:12 AM, josep wrote:

How can I bring a hdd back to life, if I did:

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdb

to it?

When I try to format it to ext3, it tells: gparted: libparted -
unrecognized disk label

You wiped out the partition table. fdisk or cfdisk should do the trick.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

The feeling of disgust at seeing a human female in a Relationship
with a chimp male is Homininphobia, and you should be ashamed of
yourself.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Daniel Lannstrom

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 02:12:09PM +0100, josep wrote:
> How can I bring a hdd back to life, if I did:
>
> dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdb
>
> to it?
>
> When I try to format it to ext3, it tells: gparted: libparted - unrecognized
> disk label
>
> Please help, the /dev/sdb is an USB HDD

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking for. Are you trying to restore
the data or formatting the disk with a new file system? Asumming the
latter you need to partition the disk (try fdisk if you're having
problems with gparted).

Old 03-02-2009, 02:16 PM
josep

I putted the HDD to a pc, boot it up with systemrescuecd - startx - gparted - and Format it. Without error.

I even could write to the disk, no error, but:

when I put it back to the USB, it does it again...

gparted: libparted - unrecognized disk label

I don't want to restore it, I just want to format it for USB use.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:22 PM
josep

I wanted to "check" the hdd in gparted, it gaves this error:

e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sdb1
* *

filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2

e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

Ok, so I run e2fsck:

e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sdb
e2fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb

filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2

* e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

infinite loop?

Old 03-02-2009, 02:51 PM
josep

ok, now I can format the hdd, but I had to use a "non-msdos MBR", - bsd, amiga :O

I started again, in gparted, with an ms-dos mbr...it worked ...

but....

fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sdb: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

and I can only write to it, when I'm root...:S

Old 03-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Sjors Gielen

josep schreef:
ok, now I can format the hdd, but I had to use a "non-msdos MBR", -
bsd, amiga :O

I started again, in gparted, with an ms-dos mbr...it worked ...

but....

fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sdb: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

and I can only write to it, when I'm root...:S

Of course you can only write to it when you're root, you don't want a
normal user to be able to format your drives. ;-)

Try this:

# fdisk /dev/sdb

then in the fdisk shell, use 'n' to add new partitions, set the
partition type to for example ext3. Then when you're done, use 'w' to
quit. You may need to reboot for the changes to take effect. After that,
format the partition correctly, for example if you've chosen ext3:

# mkfs.ext3

Now you can mount /dev/sdb1 and write to it. Your disk will be allright.

Sjors