-   -   grub failure after recent dist-upgrade (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/249553-grub-failure-after-recent-dist-upgrade.html)

"Todd A. Jacobs" 02-20-2009 08:36 PM

grub failure after recent dist-upgrade

I'm running 2.6.26-1-amd64 on a 64-bit system, and am primarily running
a testing system with a few other packages mixed in from sid and
experimental.

After a recent dist-upgrade, grub 1.96 now fails to boot with:

error: unknown command 'initrd'

This happens for all kernels on the boot partition. I've even tried
mounting the necessary filesystems with a rescue disk and running
update-grub, but with identical results.

How can I recover from this?

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"

Brad Rogers 02-20-2009 09:57 PM

grub failure after recent dist-upgrade

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 13:36:42 -0800
"Todd A. Jacobs" <tjacobs-tmp-1235597804.7b533c@codegnome.org> wrote:

Hello Todd,

> error: unknown command 'initrd'
> How can I recover from this?

First, you need to get the system up. Do this by editing the boot
command so the first two lines get removed. That is, the ones that
begin

set root=
&
search --fs-uuid

If that doesn't start the system correctly, you'll have to drop to a
grub command line (possibly after a reboot) and enter the lines
beginning

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2
then
initrd /boot/initrd.img

Once you get the system up, comment out all occurrences of the lines
starting (as root)

set root=
&
search --fs-uuid

All should now work correctly. Why those two lines stuff things up, I
don't know. However, since you're the only other person I know of that
has this issue, I'm guessing it's not a universal problem.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

You destroyed my confidence, you broke my nerve
Nervous Wreck - Radio Stars

Peter Robinson 02-21-2009 07:27 AM

Brad Rogers wrote:

[...]

I had the same problem and solved by commenting out the set and search
lines in grub.cfg:

menuentry "Debian GNU/Linux, linux 2.6.26-1-686" {
# set root=(hd0,1)
# search --fs-uuid --set 49db5ebc-7a54-4501-9c3f-12a2e2a36f78
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-686 root=/dev/sda1 ro
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-1-686
}
I am running lenny i386.
-Peter

Brad Rogers 02-21-2009 09:53 AM

grub failure after recent dist-upgrade

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:27:33 +0100
Peter Robinson <peter.robinson@t-online.de> wrote:

Hello Peter,

> I had the same problem and solved by commenting out the set and search
> lines in grub.cfg:

Which is just what I did. At least I know the problem is not unique to
me.

Finally, please don't Cc: me. I subscribe to the list so will see your
message here. I don't need a second copy. Thanks.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

If you ain't sticking your knives in me, you will be eventually
Monsoon - Robbie Williams