-   -   Gnome open can not recognize a file by its name (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/249013-gnome-open-can-not-recognize-file-its-name.html)

mond 02-19-2009 10:46 PM

Gnome open can not recognize a file by its name

Hi,

Recently, my gnome failed to recognize any file by its name extension.
For example, I have a .odt file but gnome fails to open it with
openoffice writer. So every time I want to open .odt file I have to
use "open with other application" option. It is annoying. Gnome also
fails to display the correct icon for a certain file.

I think it is due to a recent careless dist-upgrade. This issue maybe
caused be some components of gnome or nautlis removed.

Any idea how to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Mond Zhu

Daryl Styrk 02-19-2009 11:12 PM

mond wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently, my gnome failed to recognize any file by its name extension.
> For example, I have a .odt file but gnome fails to open it with
> openoffice writer. So every time I want to open .odt file I have to
> use "open with other application" option. It is annoying. Gnome also
> fails to display the correct icon for a certain file.
>
> I think it is due to a recent careless dist-upgrade. This issue maybe
> caused be some components of gnome or nautlis removed.
>
> Any idea how to fix this problem?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Mond Zhu

Right click a .odt select properties, choose open with.. If there is no
default option listed there choose add and select which you prefer.

mond 02-20-2009 12:00 AM

On Feb 19, 6:20*pm, Daryl Styrk <darylst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> mond wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > Recently, my gnome failed to recognize any file by its name extension.
> > For example, I have a .odt file but gnome fails to open it with
> > openoffice writer. So every time I want to open .odt file I have to
> > use "open with other application" option. It is annoying. Gnome also
> > fails to display the correct icon for a certain file.
>
> > I think it is due to a recent careless dist-upgrade. This issue maybe
> > caused be some components of gnome or nautlis removed.
>
> > Any idea how to fix this problem?
>
> > Thank you in advance.
>
> > Mond Zhu
>
> Right click a .odt select properties, choose open with.. If there is no
> default option listed there choose add and select which you prefer.

Thanks Daryl,

I did that.I tried what you said. It did not work. I selected
openoffice writer as preferred program. But gnome gave error message
Couldn't display "......test.odt". Now it seems that gnome fails to
recognize odt,xls,html etc files. But right click open with still
works.

Nuno Magalh„es 02-20-2009 12:26 AM

Gnome open can not recognize a file by its name

> Recently, my gnome failed to recognize any file by its name extension.

That's actually a good thing if you've been reading the thread about
.desktop "viruses". However, shouldn't gnome fallback to file magic
test if extension test fails?

mond 02-20-2009 12:52 AM

On Feb 19, 7:30*pm, Nuno Magalh„es <nunomagalh...@eu.ipp.pt> wrote:
> > Recently, my gnome failed to recognize any file by its name extension.
>
> That's actually a good thing if you've been reading the thread about
> .desktop "viruses". However, shouldn't gnome fallback to file magic
> test if extension test fails?

yes. That, for sure, will avoid some viruses. But the thing is that
file magic test is gone on my gnome. I believe a dist-upgrade removed
some gnome component which perform magic test. I just can recall the
name now.

Recent dist-upgrade wanted to remove a lot of gnome component. Of
cause I did not upgrade. The problem happened right after lenny's
release. If I can track my update history, I may figure out a way to
solve it.

Frank McCormick 02-20-2009 01:17 PM

Gnome open can not recognize a file by its name

Frank McCormick 02-20-2009 03:41 PM

Gnome open can not recognize a file by its name

mond 02-21-2009 09:55 PM

Gnome open can not recognize a file by its name

On Feb 20, 10:50*am, Frank McCormick <debianl...@videotron.ca> wrote:

Great. It must be shared-mime-info problem. I don't want to downgrade
since it doesn't matter very much anyway.

Thank you for your information.