FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Bret Busby
 
Default Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 released (fwd)

Hello.

In the message below, is the part

"In addition to the regular installation media, Debian GNU/Linux can now
also be directly used without prior installation. The special images
used, known as live images, are available for CDs, USB sticks, and
netboot setups. Initially, these are provided for the amd64 and i386
architectures only."

I have been to the Debian web site, and the web page at
http://www.debian.org/distrib/ , does not include any reference to "live
images", that can be run without being installed.


That web page, with the heading and title, "Getting Debian", refers only
to installable versions of Debian 5. It says

"If you simply want to install Debian, these are your options:"
but no mention is made, of anything like
"If you want to run Debian without installing it, you do this:"

I note that the paragraph above, from the announcement message below,
saya that the "live images" are special images, indicating that they are
not the same as standard installable images.


Are "live images" of Debian 5, available?

If so, how do we get them?

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992

.................................................. ..

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 22:58:48 -1100
From: Alexander Reichle-Schmehl <tolimar@debian.org>
To: debian-announce@lists.debian.org
Subject: Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 released
Resent-Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 09:59:15 +0000 (UTC)
Resent-From: debian-announce@lists.debian.org

<snip>

--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-announce-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
 
Default Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 released (fwd)

Bret Busby escreveu:
> "In addition to the regular installation media, Debian GNU/Linux can now
> also be directly used without prior installation. The special images
> used, known as live images, are available for CDs, USB sticks, and
> netboot setups. Initially, these are provided for the amd64 and i386
> architectures only."
>
> I have been to the Debian web site, and the web page at
> http://www.debian.org/distrib/ , does not include any reference to "live
> images", that can be run without being installed.
>
> [...]
>
> Are "live images" of Debian 5, available?
>

Yes.

http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/


--
Eduardo M Kalinowski
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-19-2009, 09:48 PM
"Andrew M.A. Cater"
 
Default Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 released (fwd)

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 02:48:55AM +0900, Bret Busby wrote:
>
> Hello.
>
> In the message below, is the part
>
> "In addition to the regular installation media, Debian GNU/Linux can now
> also be directly used without prior installation. The special images
> used, known as live images, are available for CDs, USB sticks, and
> netboot setups. Initially, these are provided for the amd64 and i386
> architectures only."
>
> I have been to the Debian web site, and the web page at
> http://www.debian.org/distrib/ , does not include any reference to "live
> images", that can be run without being installed.
>
> That web page, with the heading and title, "Getting Debian", refers only
> to installable versions of Debian 5. It says
> "If you simply want to install Debian, these are your options:"
> but no mention is made, of anything like
> "If you want to run Debian without installing it, you do this:"
>
> I note that the paragraph above, from the announcement message below,
> saya that the "live images" are special images, indicating that they are
> not the same as standard installable images.
>
> Are "live images" of Debian 5, available?
>
> If so, how do we get them?
>
> Thank you in anticipation.
>
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.0-live/

or any of the mirrors that hold CD images.

You'll get a .iso file which you'll need to burn to a blank CD.

HTH,

AndyC

> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
> ..............
>
> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
> you'll know what the answer means."
> - Deep Thought,
> Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
> "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
> A Trilogy In Four Parts",
> written by Douglas Adams,
> published by Pan Books, 1992
>
> .................................................. ..
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 22:58:48 -1100
> From: Alexander Reichle-Schmehl <tolimar@debian.org>
> To: debian-announce@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 released
> Resent-Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 09:59:15 +0000 (UTC)
> Resent-From: debian-announce@lists.debian.org
>
> <snip>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-announce-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a
> subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:46 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org