Old 02-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Aneurin Price

Default Logitech MX Revolution/MX1100

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 5:02 PM, <owens@netptc.net> wrote:

> [...]

I'm not sure you understand the concept of an excuse to buy new shiny
things :P

Seriously though I do clean it out fairly well every now and then, but it
would be nice not to have to bother, plus I'm finding it increasingly
difficult to press the middle button without scrolling a notch, which
really annoys me if I'm trying to, say, open a link in a new tab, or
paste something and end up putting it in the wrong place.

Nye

Old 02-19-2009, 09:34 PM

Of course I understand the famous Don Ho "shiny new things" concept
(or was it "tiny new things"? or was it ---). Enjoy your new toy
Larry

Old 02-22-2009, 11:32 PM
Owen Townend

Aneurin Price wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm thinking about replacing my mouse soon as the ball is starting to stick
> after about a decade of use, and I'm looking at either the Logitech MX
> Revolution or MX1100. Does anybody have any experience with either of these in
> Linux? I'm particularly interested in whether the special features work, like
> the magic scroll wheel, extra buttons, and (on the Revolution) the extra scroll
> wheel plus the ability to move the wheel left or right.
>
> I'm a little wary since my current mouse has a thumb button which only seems to
> do anything when using the special driver in Windows, so I don't want to pay
> for features if they won't work for me.
>
> Thanks,
> Nye

Hey,
I currently use the slightly older MX1000 (12 buttons) and all buttons
show up just fine in `xev`. It is simply a matter of mapping them all to
useful functions (e.g. using xmodmap). There are some guides[0]
around to help get you started.

cheers,
Owen.

Footnotes: