Old 02-19-2009, 03:19 PM
"Barclay, Daniel"

Default exim4: auth. to smarthost - what to set AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS to?

Title: exim4: auth. to smarthost - what to set AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS to?

In exim4, what value should AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS be set to to enable

authentication associated feature?

My exim4 (on Sarge) is set up in smarthost mode, and I'm trying to set up authentication to my smarthost, my

ISP's SMTP server.

I found some documentation saying to set AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS

(in AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS), but I haven't yet found any that says

_what_ to set it to.

I tried simply setting to true like this:

** AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS = true

but that yields the error:

** # /etc/init.d/exim4 restart

** Restarting MTA: 2009-02-19 11:03:43 Exim configuration error in line 637 of /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated.

** tmp:

**** authenticator name missing

** Invalid new configfile /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated.tmp

** not installing /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated.tmp to /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated

Line 637 is the

*** AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS = true

line.

(When I don't try to set it, my exim4 doesn't use authentication when talking to

my ISPs SMTP server, and it rejects the connection with "550 5.7.1 Authentication

required.)

Thanks,

Daniel

--

(Plain text sometimes corrupted to HTML "courtesy" of Microsoft Exchange.) [F]

Old 02-19-2009, 04:17 PM
"Barclay, Daniel"

Title: Re: exim4: auth. to smarthost - what to set AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS to?

I wrote:

> In exim4, what value should AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS be set to

> to enable

> authentication associated feature?

> I tried simply setting to true like this:

>** AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS = true

> but that yields the error:

>** # /etc/init.d/exim4 restart

>** Restarting MTA: 2009-02-19 11:03:43 Exim configuration error in line

> 637 of /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated.

>** tmp:

>**** authenticator name missing

Never mind--I had put the assignment line in the wrong place.

Daniel

--

(Plain text sometimes corrupted to HTML "courtesy" of Microsoft Exchange.) [F]