Old 02-19-2009, 10:25 AM
"W. Martin Borgert"

Default Dual monitor problem (intel, GNOME)

Hi,

for the first time I try to get a second monitor at my laptop,
so far with limited success:

Monitors: Internal LVDS 1280800, external VGA 12801024.
Video: Intel GM965/GL960.
Software: Debian 5.0, Gnome. Exception: X is from experimental.
Initial layout: two identical pictures of 1024786 each.

With grandr, I can fix the resolution of each screen (just by
selecting "Auto") and put VGA right of my LVDS (Layout). I have
to move the upper and lower panels from the VGA to the LVDS with
the mouse, though.

Windows and dialogues pop up either on LVDS or VGA, without any
logic.

First question: How can I save the setting, so that I don't have
to do this every time (fix the resolution and move the panels to
my primary screen)?

Second question: How can I influence, where new windows and
dialogues will pop up? E.g. "always LVDS" would be fine.

Many thanks in advance!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Mirco Piccin

HI

Monitors: Internal LVDS 1280800, external VGA 12801024.

Video: Intel GM965/GL960.

Software: Debian 5.0, Gnome. Exception: X is from experimental.

Initial layout: two identical pictures of 1024786 each.

With grandr, I can fix the resolution of each screen (just by

selecting "Auto") and put VGA right of my LVDS (Layout). I have

to move the upper and lower panels from the VGA to the LVDS with

the mouse, though.

First question: How can I save the setting, so that I don't have

to do this every time (fix the resolution and move the panels to

my primary screen)?

grandr is a frontend to xrandr.
You can edit* a simple bash script that launch xrandr with your preferred settings.
*

Second question: How can I influence, where new windows and

dialogues will pop up? E.g. "always LVDS" would be fine.

Sincerely i don't know.
Regards

Old 02-19-2009, 11:21 AM
"W. Martin Borgert"

On 2009-02-19 12:52, Mirco Piccin wrote:
> grandr is a frontend to xrandr.
> You can edit a simple bash script that launch xrandr with your preferred
> settings.

Hm, I found the commands for resolution and putting one screen
right of the other, but I didn't find the command to put the
panels on the primary screen. Any idea?

(Btw: While I prefer xrandr commands over a GUI, such as grandr,
I wonder what my mother would do. She uses Gnome on etch, but
has no idea what "bash" or "script" mean. For a text editor, she
would try OpenOffice. Fortunately, she has only one monitor.)

Old 02-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Emanoil Kotsev

W. Martin Borgert wrote:

> On 2009-02-19 12:52, Mirco Piccin wrote:
>> grandr is a frontend to xrandr.
>> You can edit a simple bash script that launch xrandr with your preferred
>> settings.
>
> Hm, I found the commands for resolution and putting one screen
> right of the other, but I didn't find the command to put the
> panels on the primary screen. Any idea?
>
> (Btw: While I prefer xrandr commands over a GUI, such as grandr,
> I wonder what my mother would do. She uses Gnome on etch, but
> has no idea what "bash" or "script" mean. For a text editor, she
> would try OpenOffice. Fortunately, she has only one monitor.)

I'm using KDE tehre in the desktop config you can specify on which display
you prefer to have your panel

the xrandr command line I use is

xrandr --output VGA --right-of LVDS --auto

regards

Old 02-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Emanoil Kotsev

Emanoil Kotsev wrote:

> W. Martin Borgert wrote:
>
>> On 2009-02-19 12:52, Mirco Piccin wrote:
>>> grandr is a frontend to xrandr.
>>> You can edit a simple bash script that launch xrandr with your
>>> preferred settings.
>>
>> Hm, I found the commands for resolution and putting one screen
>> right of the other, but I didn't find the command to put the
>> panels on the primary screen. Any idea?
>>
>> (Btw: While I prefer xrandr commands over a GUI, such as grandr,
>> I wonder what my mother would do. She uses Gnome on etch, but
>> has no idea what "bash" or "script" mean. For a text editor, she
>> would try OpenOffice. Fortunately, she has only one monitor.)
>
> I'm using KDE tehre in the desktop config you can specify on which display
> you prefer to have your panel
>
> the xrandr command line I use is
>
> xrandr --output VGA --right-of LVDS --auto
>
> regards

I do create a shortcut somewhere on the desktop of my father which would be
the xrandr command and assign an icon to it, so my father can remember it.
now when he wants to have a kind of shell behavior

it worked fine so far

regards