-   -   Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/248630-debian-gnu-linux-5-0-a.html)

Farid Ansari 02-19-2009 10:00 AM

Debian GNU/Linux 5.0

Dear Sir's,
I downloaded and installed the
new Debian 5.0 Lenny and was very happy with the installer which is the
best of all Linux installers.
After installation I am not able to run the system.

I come to the screen where it asks for the user and password, after
these are entered i get the $ sign. When I type 'startx' it does not
start the operating system.
This problem is being faced by me since the earlier versions of Debian.

Please someone be kind enough to help me resolve the matter.
Any assistance / advise given will be highly appreciated.
Thanks and Regards,
Farid Ansari
Karachi, Pakistan

Richard Lyons 02-19-2009 10:32 AM

Debian GNU/Linux 5.0

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 04:00:51PM +0500, Farid Ansari wrote:

> *Dear Sir's,
> I downloaded and installed the new Debian 5.0 Lenny and was very happy with
> the installer which is the best of all Linux installers.
> After installation I am not able to run the system.
> I come to the screen where it asks for the user and password, after these
> are entered i get the $ sign. When I type 'startx' it does not start the
> operating system.

Are you sure you installed X?

Log in as root, and try 'aptitude install kde'
or 'aptitude install gnome'
to get a working desktop environment installed -- they should bring X with
them.

If aptitude is not installed then either 'apt-get install aptitude' or use
apt-get in place of aptitude.

If they turn out to be already installed and still won't run, come back.

richard