Old 02-19-2009, 02:00 AM
Chris Jones

Default Upgrade procedu etch -> lenny

I plan to upgrade to lenny over the weekend:

1. duplicate current etch system on a new partition
2. apt-get update
2. replace "etch" by "lenny" in /etc/sources.list
3. apt-get dist-upgrade

Am I missing anything?

Note: I do not want apt to mess with my linux kernel.

Thanks,

CJ

Old 02-19-2009, 02:41 AM
Ron Johnson

I plan to upgrade to lenny over the weekend:

1. duplicate current etch system on a new partition
2. apt-get update
2. replace "etch" by "lenny" in /etc/sources.list
3. apt-get dist-upgrade

Am I missing anything?

I'd first upgrade apt, dpkg & perl. Maybe that's just a legacy of
the woody->etch process, but could't hurt...

Note: I do not want apt to mess with my linux kernel.

Then I'd pin that package.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

Old 02-19-2009, 02:45 AM
Deng Xiyue

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On 02/18/2009 09:00 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
>> I plan to upgrade to lenny over the weekend:
>>
>> 1. duplicate current etch system on a new partition
>> 2. apt-get update
>> 2. replace "etch" by "lenny" in /etc/sources.list
>> 3. apt-get dist-upgrade
>>
>> Am I missing anything?
>
> I'd first upgrade apt, dpkg & perl. Maybe that's just a legacy of the
> woody->etch process, but could't hurt...
>
>> Note: I do not want apt to mess with my linux kernel.
>
> Then I'd pin that package.

Also release notes has an "upgrading" section that should be helpful.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:10 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2009-02-19 04:00 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:

> I plan to upgrade to lenny over the weekend:
>
> 1. duplicate current etch system on a new partition

Good idea to be cautious.

> 2. apt-get update
> 2. replace "etch" by "lenny" in /etc/sources.list

These steps need to be reversed, obviously.

> 3. apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Am I missing anything?

Yes, a very important step: inform yourself of potential problems and
read the release notes first!

Sven

Old 02-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Adrian Levi

2009/2/19 Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com>:
> I plan to upgrade to lenny over the weekend:
>
> 1. duplicate current etch system on a new partition
> 2. apt-get update
> 2. replace "etch" by "lenny" in /etc/sources.list
> 3. apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Am I missing anything?
>
> Note: I do not want apt to mess with my linux kernel.

I like to upgrade in steps,
apt-get upgrade
Then if there are any packages that fail do: dpkg --configure -a
Then incrementally get the system installed by those 2 commands.

Upgrades any packages that have direct replacements,
apt-get dist-upgrade
Upgrades packages that require new packages, conflicts or removes packages.
Then same as above if there are any problems on this stage.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Frank Bonnet

I plan to upgrade to lenny over the weekend:

1. duplicate current etch system on a new partition

Good idea to be cautious.

2. apt-get update
2. replace "etch" by "lenny" in /etc/sources.list

These steps need to be reversed, obviously.

3. apt-get dist-upgrade

Am I missing anything?

Yes, a very important step: inform yourself of potential problems and
read the release notes first!

Sven

Hello

I recently ( yesterday :-) ) upgraded 3 servers from etch to lenny
following the same procedure mentionned above.

The only small problem came because I use HP proliant systems that
use the "famous" Broadcomm bnx2 driver which require to copy the
"firmware file" into /lib/firmware directory BEFORE doing the upgrade.

After doing that the upgrade have been successfully performed.

CAUTION ! I did that on servers *without* graphical environemment

I've also tried the same operation onto a workstation with gnome
graphical environemment and the upgrade failed , I've been forced
to reinstall the machine from scratch.

my two cents (of Euro) ...

Old 02-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Chris Jones

http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html ?

Old 02-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Chris Jones

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 02:10:11AM EST, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2009-02-19 04:00 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
>
> > I plan to upgrade to lenny over the weekend:
> >
> > 1. duplicate current etch system on a new partition
>
> Good idea to be cautious.
>
> > 2. apt-get update
> > 2. replace "etch" by "lenny" in /etc/sources.list
>
> These steps need to be reversed, obviously.
>
> > 3. apt-get dist-upgrade
> >
> > Am I missing anything?
>
> Yes, a very important step: inform yourself of potential problems and
> read the release notes first!

Wouldn't that spoil the magic of it all?

Old 02-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Ron Johnson

I plan to upgrade to lenny over the weekend:

1. duplicate current etch system on a new partition
2. apt-get update
2. replace "etch" by "lenny" in /etc/sources.list
3. apt-get dist-upgrade

Am I missing anything?
I'd first upgrade apt, dpkg & perl. Maybe that's just a legacy of
the woody->etch process, but could't hurt...

Note: I do not want apt to mess with my linux kernel.

Then I'd pin that package.

http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html ?

No, not really.

Go to section 3.10 of this document to see what I mean:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html

Old 02-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Celejar

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:40:53 -0600

> On 02/19/2009 06:29 AM, Chris Jones wrote:

> >> Then I'd pin that package.
> >
> > http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html ?
>
> No, not really.
>
> Go to section 3.10 of this document to see what I mean:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html

He can also just put a hold on it, although that will get removed
whenever he clears the pending actions list.

Celejar