Old 02-19-2009, 10:25 PM
Chris Jones

Default Upgrade procedu etch -> lenny

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 04:40:53PM EST, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/19/2009 06:29 AM, Chris Jones wrote:

> >>I'd first upgrade apt, dpkg & perl. Maybe that's just a legacy of
> >>the woody->etch process, but could't hurt...

> >>Then I'd pin that package.
> >
> > http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html ?
>
> No, not really.
>
> Go to section 3.10 of this document to see what I mean:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html

Thanks, that's more like it!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Chris Jones

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 04:52:50PM EST, Celejar wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:40:53 -0600
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> > > http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html ?
> >
> > No, not really.
> >
> > Go to section 3.10 of this document to see what I mean:
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html
>
> He can also just put a hold on it, although that will get removed
> whenever he clears the pending actions list.

So pin or hold, what's best?

Old 02-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Celejar

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 18:26:44 -0500
Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> wrote:

> So pin or hold, what's best?

My understanding is that a hold is more of a short term, quick and
dirty, solution, while for a more robust, longer term solution, one
would use pinning. IINAE, though, and there may be other
considerations involved.

Celejar

Old 02-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Chris Jones

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 02:10:11AM EST, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2009-02-19 04:00 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
>
> > I plan to upgrade to lenny over the weekend:
> >
> > 1. duplicate current etch system on a new partition
>
> Good idea to be cautious.

bare-bones netinst -> install 3-4 apps I need -> copy previous system
config files & user data -> [optional/skip] document the upgrade

Benefits for a 3-4 hours linux time weekly hobbyist & w/ no deadlines:

1. existing system untouched & only a twenty seconds' reboot away..
2. don't matter if it takes a month or a year to do the upgrade..
3. serious spring cleaning every couple years or so..
4. minimal understanding of debian packaging to pull it off.

> > 2. apt-get update
> > 2. replace "etch" by "lenny" in /etc/sources.list
>
> These steps need to be reversed, obviously.

Thought the "apt-get update" stage ensured system was up-to-date before
the upgrade plunge, thus that my apt sources should point to the "etch"
repository.

> > 3. apt-get dist-upgrade
> >
> > Am I missing anything?
>
> Yes, a very important step: inform yourself of potential problems and
> read the release notes first!

With my luck..? I'd be a winner again & the first to report a problem
that nobody else cares about.

Thanks,

CJ

Old 02-20-2009, 12:11 AM
Lisi Reisz

On Friday 20 February 2009 00:44:11 Chris Jones wrote:
> > > 2. apt-get update
> > > 2. replace "etch" by "lenny" in /etc/sources.list
> >
> > These steps need to be reversed, obviously.
>
> Thought the "apt-get update" stage ensured system was up-to-date before
> the upgrade plunge, thus that my apt sources should point to the "etch"
> repository.

Herewith a simplistic explanation. I'm sure that I shall get corrected where
I have deviated from the strictly technically correct! ;-)

apt-get update doesn't render the system up-to-date. It updates the list of
available packages. So if you want to upgrade to Lenny, you must first
update your list of available packages to Lenny: therefore you must alter
your sources.list _before_ you update the list of available packages.
Otherwise you won't get a proper upgrade because your system will not know
what is available.

HTH
Lisi

Old 02-20-2009, 04:53 AM
Rick Thomas

Hi Chris,

I plan to upgrade to lenny over the weekend:

Take a look at

http://www.ducea.com/2008/12/08/howto-upgrade-from-debian-etch-to-lenny/

It worked for me.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:29 AM
Javier

Chris Jones escribió:
> I plan to upgrade to lenny over the weekend:
>
> 1. duplicate current etch system on a new partition
> 2. apt-get update
> 2. replace "etch" by "lenny" in /etc/sources.list
> 3. apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Am I missing anything?

The recommended way of updating is using aptitude. It is demonstrated
that it resolves dependencies much better.
Please read the releases notes.

Some people still continues to recommend apt-get, when Debian developers
encourages using aptitude. I would better do what Debian developers
recommend.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Chris Bannister

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 07:29:47AM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 02:10:11AM EST, Sven Joachim wrote:
> > On 2009-02-19 04:00 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
> >
> > > I plan to upgrade to lenny over the weekend:
> > >
> > > 1. duplicate current etch system on a new partition
> >
> > Good idea to be cautious.
> >
> > > 2. apt-get update
> > > 2. replace "etch" by "lenny" in /etc/sources.list
> >
> > These steps need to be reversed, obviously.
> >
> > > 3. apt-get dist-upgrade
> > >
> > > Am I missing anything?
> >
> > Yes, a very important step: inform yourself of potential problems and
> > read the release notes first!
>
> Wouldn't that spoil the magic of it all?

No, but it may stop unnecessary posts to this list.

Wondering if "inform yourself of potential problems and read the
release notes first!" should be "inform yourself of potential problems
by reading the release notes first!"

--
Chris.
======

Old 02-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Chris Bannister

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 07:44:11PM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
> With my luck..? I'd be a winner again & the first to report a problem
> that nobody else cares about.

Posting a problem to this list is not the same as reporting a problem to
Debian itself.

To report a problem you either have to file a bug using reportbug or drop
the maintainer a line.

Of course, if you file an obscure/ambiguous/poorly worded bug report
then it may appear "that nobody else cares about" it.

--
Chris.
======

Old 02-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2009-02-21 11:22 +0100, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 07:29:47AM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 02:10:11AM EST, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> > Yes, a very important step: inform yourself of potential problems and
>> > read the release notes first!
>>
>> Wouldn't that spoil the magic of it all?
>
> No, but it may stop unnecessary posts to this list.
>
> Wondering if "inform yourself of potential problems and read the
> release notes first!" should be "inform yourself of potential problems
> by reading the release notes first!"

That's how I meant it, indeed. Maybe it was not entirely clear --
English is not my first language, after all.

Sven