Old 02-18-2009, 10:55 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Default Live-Helper. How to become root?

I have forgotten how to become root on a customised usb-hdd which I
built with the aid of lh_clean, lh_config and lh_build. The system
boots nicely from the usb stick and opens a gnome desktop. I can open
console displays (F1, etc) as a regular user but I wish to switch to
root to make some modifications.

Tom

Old 02-18-2009, 11:15 PM
Kent West

Thomas H. George wrote:

I have forgotten how to become root on a customised usb-hdd which I
built with the aid of lh_clean, lh_config and lh_build. The system
boots nicely from the usb stick and opens a gnome desktop. I can open
console displays (F1, etc) as a regular user but I wish to switch to
root to make some modifications.

Tom

From your normal user:

su -

or just log in as root.

--
Kent West <*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com

Old 02-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Micha Feigin

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 18:55:09 -0500
"Thomas H. George" <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:

> I have forgotten how to become root on a customised usb-hdd which I
> built with the aid of lh_clean, lh_config and lh_build. The system
> boots nicely from the usb stick and opens a gnome desktop. I can open
> console displays (F1, etc) as a regular user but I wish to switch to
> root to make some modifications.
>
> Tom

if you want to run things in graphic mode
you can run things from a console either
1. run su and then enter the passwork to become root
2. if it's configured you can use sudo
from the run window you can also run programs using gksu which is a gui front
end to su
3. At least some gui programs that are meant to be run as root (and there are
very few) are configured to use gksu anyway (aptitude does it on the command
line probably synaptic does it in gui also)