Old 02-18-2009, 10:44 PM
Chris Lew

Default lenny netinst on laptop help

hello everyone, i am trying to install debian 5.0 lenny i386 via netinst on to a gateway p7811fx laptop using the graphical installer, but cannot figure out where to find the proper driver for the network card (i have tried all of the ones listed in the graphical installer, they don't work). This is about how much info i can find in searching for what type of nic is in the laptop: "802.11n wireless lan, integrated 10/100/1000 ethernet adapter, modem" what i do know is that it uses marvell drivers, orat least that is what is posted in the drivers/supports section for networking on the gateway site. i do not need a driver that supports wireless, but it would be nice to have one driver that would support the wireless networking capability of the card as well as regular cat5 lan (which is what i primarily use). if anyone knows where to locate the proper driver, or at least point me in the right direction i could then download it on my thumb drive and load it in the installer.

thanks in advance, chris

Old 02-18-2009, 11:16 PM
Celejar

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 18:44:18 -0500
Chris Lew <learning.debian@gmail.com> wrote:

> hello everyone, i am trying to install debian 5.0 lenny i386 via netinst on
> to a gateway p7811fx laptop using the graphical installer, but cannot figure
> out where to find the proper driver for the network card (i have tried all
> of the ones listed in the graphical installer, they don't work). This is
> about how much info i can find in searching for what type of nic is in the
> laptop: "802.11n wireless lan, integrated 10/100/1000 ethernet adapter,
> modem" what i do know is that it uses marvell drivers, orat least that is
> what is posted in the drivers/supports section for networking on the gateway
> site. i do not need a driver that supports wireless, but it would be nice to
> have one driver that would support the wireless networking capability of the
> card as well as regular cat5 lan (which is what i primarily use). if anyone
> knows where to locate the proper driver, or at least point me in the right
> direction i could then download it on my thumb drive and load it in the
> installer.

Boot the netinst image, get a shell and report the dmesg / lspci
information for the card.

Celejar

Old 02-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Chris Lew

> hello everyone, i am trying to install debian 5.0 lenny i386 via netinst on

> to a gateway p7811fx laptop using the graphical installer, but cannot figure

> out where to find the proper driver for the network card (i have tried all

> of the ones listed in the graphical installer, they don't work). This is

> about how much info i can find in searching for what type of nic is in the

> laptop: "802.11n wireless lan, integrated 10/100/1000 ethernet adapter,

> modem" what i do know is that it uses marvell drivers, orat least that is

> what is posted in the drivers/supports section for networking on the gateway

> site. i do not need a driver that supports wireless, but it would be nice to

> have one driver that would support the wireless networking capability of the

> card as well as regular cat5 lan (which is what i primarily use). if anyone

> knows where to locate the proper driver, or at least point me in the right

> direction i could then download it on my thumb drive and load it in the

> installer.

Boot the netinst image, get a shell and report the dmesg / lspci

information for the card.

Celejar

lspci shows the following network related info:
Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 4380 (rev 10)
Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless WiFi Link 5100

i also ran the dmesg command, but couldn't recall how to 'scroll' up to the other output and did not see any network related info displayed on the screen.

thanks,
chris

Old 02-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Ron Johnson

networking on the gateway site. i do not need a driver that supports
wireless, but it would be nice to have one driver that would support the
wireless networking capability of the card as well as regular cat5 lan
(which is what i primarily use). if anyone knows where to locate the

If that is the case, then I recommend that you defer work on
wireless until your system is otherwise installed to your liking.

Then go thru the dmesg/lspci/google/d-u exercise.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

Old 02-19-2009, 01:26 AM
Celejar

[Please respond only to the list and don't cc. me, as per the code of
conduct.]

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:32:19 -0500
Chris Lew <learning.debian@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 7:16 PM, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 18:44:18 -0500
> > Chris Lew <learning.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > hello everyone, i am trying to install debian 5.0 lenny i386 via netinst
> > on
> > > to a gateway p7811fx laptop using the graphical installer, but cannot
> > figure
> > > out where to find the proper driver for the network card (i have tried
> > all
> > > of the ones listed in the graphical installer, they don't work). This is
> > > about how much info i can find in searching for what type of nic is in
> > the
> > > laptop: "802.11n wireless lan, integrated 10/100/1000 ethernet adapter,
> > > modem" what i do know is that it uses marvell drivers, orat least that is
> > > what is posted in the drivers/supports section for networking on the

> > lspci shows the following network related info:
> Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 4380 (rev 10)
> Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless WiFi Link 5100

The Wifi card should be supported by modern kernels, but you'll need
firmware from here:

http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/?n=Downloads

[According to what I read; I have no experience with Intel wireless
hardware.]

Celejar

Old 02-19-2009, 05:38 PM
"s. keeling"

Chris Lew <learning.debian@gmail.com>:

> lspci shows the following network related info:
> Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 4380 (rev 10)
> Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless WiFi Link 5100
>
> i also ran the dmesg command, but couldn't recall how to 'scroll' up to the
> other output and did not see any network related info displayed on the
> screen.

dmesg | less

Sometimes, you can use Shift-PgUp too.