Old 02-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Florian Kulzer

Default Etch -> Lenny upgrade error (util-linux)

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:44:30 -0800, yasbean wrote:
> I was trying to upgrade from a pure Etch system (i386) to Lenny, and
> have come to an impasse. apt-get install apt (or aptitude install
> aptitude) fails when trying to replace util-linux, saying:
>
> install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
> dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
> dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
> install-info: No dir specified; try --help for more information.
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/util-
> linux_2.13.1.1-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
> subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
> install-info: unrecognized option `--description=System V interprocess
> communication facilities'
> Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.
> dpkg: error while cleaning up:
> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> /var/cache/apt/archives/util-linux_2.13.1.1-1_i386.deb
>
> Does anyone have an idea of how to save the system?

My copy of the pre-removal script invokes install-info like this

install-info --quiet --remove ipc

to remove the IPC entry from the info dir file. I don't see how this
could lead to the kind of error message that you are getting; maybe your
info dir file has become corrupted.

Let's first take a closer look at your version of the prerm script;
please post the output of the following command:

grep -B10 -A10 install-info /var/lib/dpkg/info/util-linux.prerm

Florian |

Old 02-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2009-02-18 20:44 +0100, yasbean wrote:

> I was trying to upgrade from a pure Etch system (i386) to Lenny, and
> have come to an impasse. apt-get install apt (or aptitude install
> aptitude) fails when trying to replace util-linux, saying:
>
> install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.

Seems you have an incompatible install-info in your PATH, possibly in
/usr/local/bin. Move it out of the way and retry.

Sven