Old 02-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Paul Cartwright

Default apache error

I was trying to follow the HOW-TO:
http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-lenny-ispconfig2
when I got to page 5 and the apache2 setup.
I had previously installed apache , and had changed some settings, and apache
doesn't work.
When i try to remove it, and purge it, it still leaves those config files. I
have tried to reinstall, but I'm still getting errors when starting apache. I
tried removing the /etc/apache2 folder and THEN installing apache, but it
doesn't recreate that folder.
How do I get back to a plain vanilla apache2 installation config setup??
here is what it says when I try to start it:
# /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
Restarting web server: apache2(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not
bind to address [::]:80
(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80
(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
Unable to open logs
failed!

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 02-18-2009, 08:14 PM
ss11223

On Feb 18, 4:10*pm, Paul Cartwright <a...@pcartwright.com> wrote:

> # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
> Restarting web server: apache2(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not
> bind to address [::]:80
> (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80
> (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
> Unable to open logs
> *failed!

When I see socket already in use it usually means that apache is
already running.

check with "ps -A | grep apache"

and then

"killal apache2" and try again

Stuart

Old 02-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Wed February 18 2009, ss11223 wrote:
> When I see socket already in use it usually means that apache is
> already running.
>
> check with "ps -A | grep apache"
>
> and then
>
> "killal apache2" and try again

# ps -A | grep apache
# /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
Restarting web server: apache2(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not
bind to address [::]:80
(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80
(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
Unable to open logs
failed!

# killall apache2
apache2: no process killed