Old 02-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Aneurin Price

Default Why do xorg developers hate gamers and use that stupid mouse acceleration to anger them?

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Michael Marsh
<michael.a.marsh@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Dirk <noisyb@gmx.net> wrote:
>> I have to run "xset m 0 0" everytime i start a game that uses mouse and in
>> between...
>
> >From what the xset manpage says, I don't think this means what you
> think it means. You may be confusing xorg with an invalid setting.
> Try "xset m 1 1" or "xset m 5 1" (a recommended setting on one page I
> saw). Zero-times as fast as "normal" when moving zero pixels is what
> "0 0" means.
>
> Check out the first link (for me at least) when googling "xset m" (with quotes).

I've used 'xset m 0 0' and definitely found it to be different to 'xset 1 1',
though its meaning doesn't appear to be well defined.

Anyway, if you're using KDE or Gnome it's possible that your setting is getting
overwritten by whatever is in the GUI config? X itself shouldn't be
doing that so
you must have *something* resetting it.

Okay so that's probably not it, and I probably can't help, but I can offer a ray
of hope for the future:
http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/PointerAcceleration
The short of it is that in the not-too-distant future, X pointer acceleration
should suck considerably less.

Nye

Old 02-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Aneurin Price

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Michael D. Norwick
<mnorwick@centurytel.net> wrote:
> Dirk wrote:
>>
>> I have to run "xset m 0 0" everytime i start a game that uses mouse and in
>> between...
>>
>> Why does that useless/stupid mouse acceleration enable itself again and
>> interfere? It renders having a expensive mouse pretty much worthless.
>>
>> How can i disable it permanently?
>>
>> Right now I have made a cronjob of it that disables X's mouse acceleration
>> every minute... it sucks :C
>>
>> Sometimes it enables itself with different acceleration... it's like bad
>> magic...
>>
>> I recommend removing desktop mouse acceleration from xorg completely...
>> nobody needs it and it makes Linux a lousy operating system for serious
>> gaming..
>>

>> Dirk
>>

> Then why don't you quit your whining and code it out yourself. You get what
> you pay for.

There's no need to be rude - that was a completely unhelpful reply. The
question was reasonable and describes a valid concern; at least somebody
at X.org must agree, hence the improvements for xserver 1.6 that I linked.

Nye