Old 02-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Dirk

Default Why do xorg developers hate gamers and use that stupid mouse acceleration to anger them?

I have to run "xset m 0 0" everytime i start a game that uses mouse and
in between...

Why does that useless/stupid mouse acceleration enable itself again and
interfere? It renders having a expensive mouse pretty much worthless.

How can i disable it permanently?

Right now I have made a cronjob of it that disables X's mouse
acceleration every minute... it sucks :C

Sometimes it enables itself with different acceleration... it's like bad
magic...

I recommend removing desktop mouse acceleration from xorg completely...
nobody needs it and it makes Linux a lousy operating system for serious
gaming..

Dirk

Old 02-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Stefan Monnier

> I've used 'xset m 0 0' and definitely found it to be different to 'xset 1 1',
> though its meaning doesn't appear to be well defined.

IIUC a 0 threshold means to select a progressive speedup where the
screen movement is O(dx^N) where `dx' is the physical mouse movement and
N is related to the first parameter passed after `m'. I personally use

xset m 5/3 0

It's even documented in the manpage nowadays (I discovered it when I got
annoyed by the simplistic behavior of "threshold+accel" and decided
I should hack the source to implement the O(dx^2) behavior I used to use
on my Atari-ST, only to find out that the feature was already
implemented ;-).

Stefan

Old 02-18-2009, 11:13 PM
"Michael D. Norwick"

Dirk wrote:
I have to run "xset m 0 0" everytime i start a game that uses mouse
and in between...

Why does that useless/stupid mouse acceleration enable itself again
and interfere? It renders having a expensive mouse pretty much worthless.

How can i disable it permanently?

Right now I have made a cronjob of it that disables X's mouse
acceleration every minute... it sucks :C

Sometimes it enables itself with different acceleration... it's like
bad magic...

I recommend removing desktop mouse acceleration from xorg
completely... nobody needs it and it makes Linux a lousy operating
system for serious gaming..

Dirk

Then why don't you quit your whining and code it out yourself. You get
what you pay for.

Michael

Old 02-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Stefan Monnier

> I have to run "xset m 0 0" everytime i start a game that uses mouse and in
> between...
> Why does that useless/stupid mouse acceleration enable itself again and
> interfere? It renders having a expensive mouse pretty much worthless.

FWIW, it's most likely not done by Xorg code. Instead, I'd expect that
the brain-damaged behavior you're experiencing comes from something like
Gnome or KDE.

Stefan