Old 02-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Ron Johnson

Default Fedora guy asking for Debian guide

On 02/18/2009 05:51 AM, Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo wrote:

Am Dienstag, den 17.02.2009, 15:53 -0600 schrieb Ron Johnson:

On 02/17/2009 03:00 PM, Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo wrote:

Downloaded netinst AMD64 but no GUI. Now, installing fglrx.
netinst might not have a GUI installer? (The Lenny GUI looks
exactly like the TUI installer, and isn't very difficult.)

Sorry, I expressed myself wrong. Netinst installed ok (graphical
expert), but X didnt start. Then, installed fglrx:

# apt-get update
# apt-get install module-assistant fglrx-driver fglrx-kernel-src
# module-assistant auto-install fglrx-kernel-src
# aticonfig --initial

but the screen flashes white. Turned "fglrx" to "radeonhd" in x.conf,
works, but no 3d driver. Well, Im not that interested in graphics, note:

fglrx worked fine on fedora10 until yesterday on the same computer.

So, everything's working for you now?

Is there any short install guide (like http://www.fedorafaq.org/) you
can suggest for a debian newbie?

Maybe http://www.debian-administration.org/

Very fuzzy. You can read the former and be crystal clear into fedora in
10 minutes. Im sure Debian has something like that.

Bah, who wants clarity????

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

Old 02-18-2009, 04:51 PM
"H.S."

Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo wrote:

>>> Is there any short install guide (like http://www.fedorafaq.org/) you
>>> can suggest for a debian newbie?
>> Maybe http://www.debian-administration.org/
>
> Very fuzzy. You can read the former and be crystal clear into fedora in
> 10 minutes. Im sure Debian has something like that.

My dear Sir, just give Debian a few days till you are in the 'zone',
then everything will be crystal clear and you may as well find yourself
doing a favor to Fedora and suggesting there to take a look at the
Debian site for inspirations.

On a serious note though, in my personal experience (I have used Red Hat
and Fedora in the past), I have found Debian documentation on their
website to be more thorough (perhaps second to, or at par with, that of
gentoo). Once a user is not a novice to Debian anymore, the
documentation begins to be much more clear and fruitful.

Regards.

> Thanks, my best regards.
> Rodolfo Alcazar - rodolfo.alcazar@padep.org.bo
> otbits.blogspot.com / counter.li.org: #367962
> "Früher oder später emulieren wir euch."
> - linux.de

ever having been read.