Old 02-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Sholem Aleichem

Default Linux on the London Tube?

I liked that. Shame it wasn't for a GNU/Linux system. Not sure London
underground adverts would do much good though.

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 7:31:57 pm Jamie White wrote:
> If only it was a Linux ad!
>
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 7:26 PM, Paulo Brito
>
> <paulorsbrito.listas@gmail.com>wrote:
> > lol!! That's funny!
> >
> > 2009/2/17 Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net>
> >
> > I saw this ad on the tube recently, and was disappointed to find it
> > wasn't
> >
> >> inviting people to migrate from the dark side
> >>
> >> http://the-place.net/penguin/migrate.jpg
> >>
> >> But maybe we should...
> >>
> >> richard
> >>

> >> --

-Debian GNU/Linux User-
OS: Debian 5.0 "Lenny"
Kernel: 2.6.26-1-686
-Linux User #485040-

Old 02-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Richard Lyons

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 07:34:54PM +0000, Sholem Aleichem wrote:

> On Tuesday 17 February 2009 7:31:57 pm Jamie White wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 7:26 PM, Paulo Brito
> > <paulorsbrito.listas@gmail.com>wrote:

> > > lol!! That's funny!
> > >
> > If only it was a Linux ad!
> >
> I liked that. Shame it wasn't for a GNU/Linux system. Not sure London
> underground adverts would do much good though.

They advertize the dark side enough down there in the dark...
Isn't it time we showed the light?

richard

Old 02-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Sholem Aleichem

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 7:43:37 pm Richard Lyons wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 07:34:54PM +0000, Sholem Aleichem wrote:
> > On Tuesday 17 February 2009 7:31:57 pm Jamie White wrote:

> > > If only it was a Linux ad!
> >
> > I liked that. Shame it wasn't for a GNU/Linux system. Not sure London
> > underground adverts would do much good though.
>
> They advertize the dark side enough down there in the dark...
> Isn't it time we showed the light?
>
> richard

"dark side", do we really want to associate ourselves with them by using the
same advertising principals?

--
-Debian GNU/Linux User-
OS: Debian 5.0 "Lenny"

Old 02-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Sam Kuper

2009/2/17 Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net>

I saw this ad on the tube recently, and was disappointed to find it wasn't

inviting people to migrate from the dark side

http://the-place.net/penguin/migrate.jpg

But maybe we should...

It strikes me that a sticker bearing, say, "Get your ticket freedom at www.debian.org", placed to cover the part of the poster from the text "XSCAPE" to the text ".com" would turn this into a pretty good GNU/Linux poster. It'd be nice to see GNU/Linux ads on the Bakerloo line, instead of the usual nonsense.

Not that I'm advocating anyone should commit vandalism, of course.
Sam

Old 02-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Sam Kuper

Oops...
2009/2/17 Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net>

It strikes me that a sticker bearing, say, "Get your ticket freedom at www.debian.org" [...]
s/ticket freedom/ticket to freedom/

Old 02-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Lydgate

Ha, I thought the same thing!

Old 02-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Paul Johnson

Sholem Aleichem wrote:
> I liked that. Shame it wasn't for a GNU/Linux system. Not sure London
> underground adverts would do much good though.

Microsoft thinks otherwise, advertising heavily on the overhead boards
or even entire car ceilings on board Portland's MAX light rail system.

Though I think the last time I will ever ride the Screechcar (so named
by the locals for the loud, almost piercingly high-pitched, nasal,
screechy voice they found to read the stop announcements and who is
sponsoring the stops on Portland Transit's underfunded streetcar
line[1]) will be if the announcement screech says a stop's sponsored by
Microsoft.

[1] I'm pretty sure the voice itself is recorded and not synthetic, in
which case I really feel sorry poor woman who is cursed to have a voice
that sets off the fingernails-on-chalkboard reflex in all who haven't or
aren't able to tune out something that annoying after 10 years.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Paul Johnson

Sholem Aleichem wrote:

> "dark side", do we really want to associate ourselves with them by using the
> same advertising principals?

What better way to introduce people to the people's OS than on the
people's transportation?