Old 02-17-2009, 05:01 PM
"Oliver Dr. Muth"

Default etch/EVMS upgrade to lenny

Hi

Since lenny dropped support for EVMS I guess it would be fatal to just dist-upgrade an etch system that is based on EVMS volumes.
However, I could not find anything on this issue in the release notes.

Should I file this as a bug against the release notes? ;-)
Or am I mistaken here? Is there a way to upgrade without ending up with a system that won't boot?

Best regards

Oliver

P.S.: I am subscribed to this list with a different e-mail address, so I will get the replies, but I won't get anything sent to samweis.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Adrian Levi

2009/2/18 Oliver Dr. Muth <samweis2111@yahoo.de>:
> Hi
>
> Since lenny dropped support for EVMS I guess it would be fatal to just dist-upgrade an etch system that is based on EVMS volumes.
> However, I could not find anything on this issue in the release notes.
>
> Should I file this as a bug against the release notes? ;-)
> Or am I mistaken here? Is there a way to upgrade without ending up with a system that won't boot?
>
> Best regards

I used to use EVMS under Etch, but haven't upgraded that box yet (I'm
trying to obsolete it).
Are the partitions Native EVMS or are they normal partitions accessed
through the /dev/evms/ mount points?

Have you tried booting the system using the lenny install media and
selecting rescue mode to see if the partitions can still be accessed
without changing your system?

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:11 AM
"Oliver Dr. Muth"

Hi Adrian

thanks for the quick reply.

> Are the partitions Native EVMS or are they normal partitions accessed
> through the /dev/evms/ mount points?
Most of them are native EVMS, because I occasionally used the snapshot function. They are EVMS on LVM2 on a software RAID.
I could probably convert them back into "compatibility volumes".

My main goal with EVMS was to have a nice GUI that allows to resize/shrink partitions with different filesystems - without having to remember all commmand line options.

> Have you tried booting the system using the lenny install media and
> selecting rescue mode to see if the partitions can still be accessed
> without changing your system?
I wanted to upgrade via the Net, so I don't have installation media yet.
I guess the best way is to first convert all volumes back from EVMS to "compatibility"(especially root), then make some space on the RAID and install a minimal lenny as rescue system. I would have to install lenny last, otherwise it would change the grub boot sector and I'd be stuck, right?

Best regards

Oliver

Old 02-18-2009, 06:36 AM
Adrian Levi

2009/2/18 Oliver Dr. Muth <samweis2111@yahoo.de>:
> Hi Adrian
>
> thanks for the quick reply.
>
>> Are the partitions Native EVMS or are they normal partitions accessed
>> through the /dev/evms/ mount points?
> Most of them are native EVMS, because I occasionally used the snapshot function. They are EVMS on LVM2 on a software RAID.
> I could probably convert them back into "compatibility volumes".
>
> My main goal with EVMS was to have a nice GUI that allows to resize/shrink partitions with different filesystems - without having to remember all commmand line options.
>
>> Have you tried booting the system using the lenny install media and
>> selecting rescue mode to see if the partitions can still be accessed
>> without changing your system?
> I wanted to upgrade via the Net, so I don't have installation media yet.
> I guess the best way is to first convert all volumes back from EVMS to "compatibility"(especially root), then make some space on the RAID and install a minimal lenny as rescue system. I would have to install lenny last, otherwise it would change the grub boot sector and I'd be stuck, right?

You can always skip the installing grub step in the installer.

Adrian