Old 02-17-2009, 05:21 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

Default How to adjust margins in xpdf reader?

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 06:57:46PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> How can I adjust the top and side margin at my pleasure in xpdf reader? I
> couldn't find this issue in the xpdf man page.

I've never found a direct way. I do it two ways:

1. Since I run on old hardware, some boxes are able to have a
larger virtual screen than the pysical screen. To shrink the
margins and have larger text, just enlarge the xpdf window
beyond the size of the physical screen (with xpdf set to fit to
width).

2. Just set the zoom factor so that the margins are outside the
window.

If you mean that you want to change the margins for printing, I'm not
sure that you can. Pdf is a subset of ps which describes the page as
the author intended it. It is not a "source" language designed to be
altered. That said, ps really is a programming language so there may be
a tool to change margins in the pdf file itself, or you could print the
pdf to ps and use tools to change that (or dive into the ps language and
do it yourself).

I hope this helps.

Doug.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Rodolfo Medina

How can I adjust the top and side margin at my pleasure in xpdf reader? I
couldn't find this issue in the xpdf man page.

Thanks for any help
Rodolfo

Old 03-02-2009, 10:18 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 11:59:23PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 06:57:46PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
> >> How can I adjust the top and side margin at my pleasure in xpdf reader? I
> >> couldn't find this issue in the xpdf man page.
> "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@vianet.ca> writes:
>
> > I've never found a direct way. I do it two ways:
> >
> > 1. Since I run on old hardware, some boxes are able to have a
> > larger virtual screen than the pysical screen. To shrink the
> > margins and have larger text, just enlarge the xpdf window
> > beyond the size of the physical screen (with xpdf set to fit to
> > width).
> >
> > 2. Just set the zoom factor so that the margins are outside the
> > window.
>
> I mean what I get in xdvi with the `topmargin' option, i.e.: with the up and
> down arrows of the keyboard I adjust the vertical page position as I want and
> then, every time I do `n' or `p' to move one page forward or backward, I want
> that position not to change.
>
> Is that possible, and how?

I doubt it since dvi is device-independant and is mostly for printing to
paper. pdf is for on-screen and only presents an image of paper. If
you mean so that you can print a pdf with a specific margin, it may be
possilbe with some pdf tools but I don't know.

Doug.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Old 03-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 06:18:29PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> > "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@vianet.ca> writes:
> >
> > > I've never found a direct way. I do it two ways:
> > >
> > > 1. Since I run on old hardware, some boxes are able to have a
> > > larger virtual screen than the pysical screen. To shrink the
> > > margins and have larger text, just enlarge the xpdf window
> > > beyond the size of the physical screen (with xpdf set to fit to
> > > width).
> > >
> > > 2. Just set the zoom factor so that the margins are outside the
> > > window.
> >
> > I mean what I get in xdvi with the `topmargin' option, i.e.: with the up and
> > down arrows of the keyboard I adjust the vertical page position as I want and
> > then, every time I do `n' or `p' to move one page forward or backward, I want
> > that position not to change.
> >
> > Is that possible, and how?
>
> I doubt it since dvi is device-independant and is mostly for printing to
> paper. pdf is for on-screen and only presents an image of paper. If
> you mean so that you can print a pdf with a specific margin, it may be
> possilbe with some pdf tools but I don't know.

*X*dvi is very much device dependent. Open up a dvi document with xdvi.
Poit the cursor to where you actually want the page to "begin" and press
'm' (IIRC). Now move to the next page ('n' IIRC) and the windo will show
the part beginning from the starting point.

Very useful with single-column LaTeX documents. I have no idea how to do
that with xpdf or evince.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 03-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Stefan Monnier

> Very useful with single-column LaTeX documents. I have no idea how to do
> that with xpdf or evince.

FWIW, the upcoming Emacs-23 includes a PDF viewer, which offers just
that feature. But yes, I'd also like to see it in xpdf.

Stefan